Objects will travel at a constant speed towards the earth no matter

In summary: I'm not sure what gave you that idea.In summary, when releasing two different objects at the same time, regardless of their mass, they will both experience the same constant acceleration towards the Earth. This is because the force of gravity depends on mass, but so does acceleration, and they cancel each other out. However, in the presence of air resistance, the objects will fall at different rates. In a vacuum, the two objects would fall at the same rate. This has been demonstrated in various experiments, including on the Moon, where there is no air. The reason a feather and a brick may fall at different rates on Earth is due to air resistance, not gravity.
tooDumb4Math
When releasing two different objects at the same time, the objects will travel at a constant speed towards the Earth no matter the mass. I have a hard time believing this. If I were to release a brick and a feather at the same time, the brick will reach the ground before the feather. I know the wind will affect the feather. If this experiment would be conducted in a vacuum would both objects hit the ground at the same time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, in a vacuum the two objects fall at the same rate. This is sometimes done as a class demonstration using evacuated tubes. There's also a video of it being done on the Moon (no air there, of course) by one of the Apollo astronauts back in the 1970s.

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/apollo_15_feather_drop.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
I first saw this done at the Ontario Science Centre back in the 60's and it blew me away. The reasoning behind it is that the heavier object has more inertia for gravity to fight against.

When releasing 2 objects at the same time, they will both have the same constant acceleration (no matter the masses). They will not travel at a constant speed unless they hit terminal velocity - in which case they probably will travel at different speeds.

The reason the feather takes longer in experiment, is because of air resistance (wind); as said above, in a vacuum they would hit the ground at the same time.

If I'm interpreting Danger's explanation correctly - then he's totally right.
The force of gravity depends on mass, but so does acceleration - they cancel out.

lzkelley said:
The force of gravity depends on mass, but so does acceleration - they cancel out.

Thanks for the clarification. That is indeed what I meant, but I'm at work and so was a little rushed on that post.

I understand now. Thank you guys.

You're more than welcome. We aim to please. :biggrin:
And, as the sign on the bar bathroom door says: 'If you aim to please, please aim.'

Last edited:
You can try putting a feather on a brick (maybe a book is more convenient) and drop them. The brick then shield the feather from air resistance and they will fall at the same rate.

And there's always the one about gluing a piece of buttered toast onto a cat's back, and see which one ends upon the bottom. :biggrin:

Danger said:
And there's always the one about gluing a piece of buttered toast onto a cat's back, and see which one ends upon the bottom. :biggrin:

Um actually danger I believe you haven't been keeping up with the latest mythbuster episodes:http://mythbustersresults.com/episode28"
In episode 28 the butter toast myth was definitively busted! :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have they done the cat experiment, though? My sister did when she was a little kid and discovered a cat needs to be dropped from higher than about a foot and a half to land on its feet.

I doubt that Mythbusters would do the cat experiment... too many freaks like PETA would complain.
It's actually very cool how a cat does it; a good demonstration of angular momentum conservation which comes naturally to them. They tuck in their back legs and splay the front ones, then torque their spines. Less resistance to angular displacement means that their ass ends spin and the head ends don't. Then they immediately splay their rear legs, tuck in the front ones, and repeat the torque. End result: right-side-up cat.
When I was about 15 I experimented with my cat, dropping him on the bed. (He didn't mind a bit, and seemed to rather enjoy it.) He managed to right himself from a height of slightly less than a foot, and it took about 1/10th of a second. Remarkable.

Isn't it also because it is gravity which gives an object weight. In a place where there is no gravity wouldn't two objects which have the same weight fall at the same speed?

Phy6explorer said:
Isn't it also because it is gravity which gives an object weight.
Yes.
Phy6explorer said:
In a place where there is no gravity wouldn't two objects which have the same weight fall at the same speed?
In a place where there's no gravity, two objects wouldn't fall at all! They would be weightless, like Astronauts in space. And secondly in the absence of fluid friction (e.g. air resistance) all objects fall (under gravity) at the same rate.

Incidentally, if anyone out there is contemplating the cat experiment, either be very fast or wear leather gloves. The cat's first instinct is to grab onto your hands with every available claw and hang on for dear life.

Hootenanny said:
Yes.

In a place where there's no gravity, two objects wouldn't fall at all! They would be weightless, like Astronauts in space. And secondly in the absence of fluid friction (e.g. air resistance) all objects fall (under gravity) at the same rate.

I really don't want to be a pain; but i feel its important in a learning environment like this to clarify (although what hootenanny is trying to say is completely correct) -> astronauts most certainly are not weightless, and they are falling (rapidly) - although indeed at the same speed as their significantly heavier spacecraft .

Cheers.

The OP says that when two objects are traveling towards the Earth. Isn't the Earth's gravity restricted to the limits of its atmosphere? Then how do those two objects fall?

lzkelley said:
I really don't want to be a pain; but i feel its important in a learning environment like this to clarify (although what hootenanny is trying to say is completely correct) -> astronauts most certainly are not weightless, and they are falling (rapidly) - although indeed at the same speed as their significantly heavier spacecraft .

Cheers.
Quite true, Astronauts where perhaps a bad analogy, but to be honest I couldn't think of another one.
Phy6explorer said:
The OP says that when two objects are traveling towards the Earth. Isn't the Earth's gravity restricted to the limits of its atmosphere?
No, gravity is not restricted to the limits of the upper atmosphere, it extends infinitely beyond it. Yes, it does becoming very weak very quickly, but that doesn't mean the Earth's gravity just stops at the edge of space.
Phy6explorer said:
Then how do those two objects fall?
Which two objects are we talking about, the two in free-fall, or the two in zero gravity?

Hootenanny said:
No, gravity is not restricted to the limits of the upper atmosphere, it extends infinitely beyond it. Yes, it does becoming very weak very quickly, but that doesn't mean the Earth's gravity just stops at the edge of space.

For example, the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) satellite:
"SOHO moves around the Sun in step with the Earth, by slowly orbiting around the First Lagrangian Point (L1), where the combined gravity of the Earth and Sun keep SOHO in an orbit locked to the Earth-Sun line. The L1 point is approximately 1.5 million kilometres away from Earth (about four times the distance of the Moon), in the direction of the Sun."​

Source: http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/about/orbit.html

What is the concept of objects traveling at a constant speed towards the earth?

The concept of objects traveling at a constant speed towards the earth is based on the law of universal gravitation, which states that all objects in the universe are attracted to each other by a force called gravity. When an object is dropped from a height, it will accelerate towards the earth due to the force of gravity. As it falls, it will continue to gain speed until it reaches a constant velocity, known as its terminal velocity.

Why do objects fall at the same rate towards the earth?

Objects fall at the same rate towards the earth because the force of gravity is constant and does not depend on the mass or size of the object. This means that all objects, regardless of their weight or shape, will experience the same acceleration due to gravity as they travel towards the earth.

What factors can affect an object's speed as it falls towards the earth?

The speed of an object as it falls towards the earth can be affected by several factors, including air resistance, the mass and shape of the object, and the gravitational pull of other nearby objects. Air resistance is a force that acts against the motion of an object, slowing it down as it falls. Objects with a larger mass or a larger surface area will experience more air resistance, which can decrease their speed. Additionally, the presence of other massive objects, such as other planets or moons, can also affect an object's speed as it falls towards the earth.

Does the speed of an object change as it falls towards the earth?

Yes, the speed of an object does change as it falls towards the earth. Initially, the object will accelerate due to the force of gravity until it reaches its terminal velocity. At this point, the object will continue to fall at a constant speed until it reaches the ground or encounters other forces, such as air resistance, that may affect its speed.

Is the concept of objects traveling at a constant speed towards the earth applicable in all situations?

The concept of objects traveling at a constant speed towards the earth is a simplified model that is applicable in most situations. However, in reality, there are many other factors, such as air resistance, that can affect an object's motion as it falls towards the earth. Additionally, extremely large or massive objects, such as planets or stars, may experience different gravitational forces that can alter their speed as they travel towards each other.