Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Observation Deck Assignment - Tension in Cables

1. Apr 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For my engineering assignment we are working in a group to research, build, test, and write a report on an observation deck.
    The little fork in the road we've hit is determining the tension in the cables. There needs to be a moment produced once there is between 20 and 30kg of a uniformly distributed load applied to the beam. We must take into consideration the weight of the beam.
    The beam is attached to the middle pylon by a hinge. The deck must fail by the cables snapping/breaking, and nothing else (ie, no breaking of the beam).

We're stuck because we have no clue what sort of formulas/equations we should be using!?
    Please help =)

2. Relevant equations

I know that there's the equations of equilibrium,
    Sum of Fx = 0
    Sum of Fy = 0
    Sum of M = 0
    And that,
    M=Fd

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've had no attempt at solving this equation =(

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2010 #2
    Oh, also, we know where the cables are on our deck and hence, the angles they make they the beam. Would anyone like a diagram?

4. Apr 26, 2010 #3
    We need a good diagram, and need to know if this is a 2- or 3-dimensional problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook