1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Observation Deck Assignment - Tension in Cables

1. Apr 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For my engineering assignment we are working in a group to research, build, test, and write a report on an observation deck.
    The little fork in the road we've hit is determining the tension in the cables. There needs to be a moment produced once there is between 20 and 30kg of a uniformly distributed load applied to the beam. We must take into consideration the weight of the beam.
    The beam is attached to the middle pylon by a hinge. The deck must fail by the cables snapping/breaking, and nothing else (ie, no breaking of the beam).

We're stuck because we have no clue what sort of formulas/equations we should be using!?
    Please help =)

2. Relevant equations

I know that there's the equations of equilibrium,
    Sum of Fx = 0
    Sum of Fy = 0
    Sum of M = 0
    And that,

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've had no attempt at solving this equation =(
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2010 #2
    Oh, also, we know where the cables are on our deck and hence, the angles they make they the beam. Would anyone like a diagram?
  4. Apr 26, 2010 #3
    We need a good diagram, and need to know if this is a 2- or 3-dimensional problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook