Need help finding tension in cables

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving finding the tension in two support rods for a sign. There is confusion about the dimensions and whether the second rod is under tension. It is suggested to sketch the problem to scale and redo the moment calculations to find the correct answer. The conversation also mentions that textbooks can make mistakes and it is important to double check calculations.
Nanart

Homework Statement

pysicssign.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no ides where to start I assume you have to use moments to find the tension in each cable but I am really not sure how to go at it.
I think the 20 N force hanging from the sign would only act through the on cable and wouldn't effect the other cable because it is the same distance from the end as the support cable.

Homework Statement

Thanks for the help I have been trying to figure this out for a while

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure of those dimensions? That sign doesn't look stable.

Yes those are the dimensions...its just really out of wack for the question obviously no one would build a sign like that

But the scale is way off; the first support rod is way off to the right, almost right next to the other support rod. You don't show it that way. And both rods would not be in tension, with the dimensions shown.

PhanthomJay said:
But the scale is way off; the first support rod is way off to the right, almost right next to the other support rod. You don't show it that way. And both rods would not be in tension, with the dimensions shown.

Sorry i didnt really mention that...It is out of a textbook and it is not scale..dont know why so just ignore the scale

Something then is amiss, because the question asks for the tension in each rod. The second rod at the right will not be in tension. I think the problem means to say
a = 0.1 m and b = 1.0 m. You are correct in that the 20 N weight just gets carried by the right rod only. But the force value in that rod from the sign weight will far outnumber the 20 N force in that rod, and put it into compression. Try summing moments about the first rod, applying the sign's weight at the center of the sign.

PhanthomJay said:
Something then is amiss, because the question asks for the tension in each rod. The second rod at the right will not be in tension. I think the problem means to say
a = 0.1 m and b = 1.0 m. You are correct in that the 20 N weight just gets carried by the right rod only. But the force value in that rod from the sign weight will far outnumber the 20 N force in that rod, and put it into compression. Try summing moments about the first rod, applying the sign's weight at the center of the sign.

I know the question is right...If anyone can explain how to do it I would really appreciate it

Unless I'm misreading your a and b dimensions, the question is improperly worded, or the dimensions given are wrong.

PhanthomJay said:
Unless I'm misreading your a and b dimensions, the question is improperly worded, or the dimensions given are wrong.

This question is right out of a physics textbook

And Physics books once in awhile make errors; their authors are human, you know.

PhanthomJay said:
And Physics books once in awhile make errors; their authors are human, you know.

I had my teacher explain this question to me and I don't know why phantomJay thinks the second rod isn't under tension when it clearly is.. to find the tension you just have to select a point and find the moments around that point which will give the tension on on rod, you than subtract that from the total weight since the tension will equal the total weight and that gives you the tension on the second rod.

So just to clarify it was not a typo

Nanart: The right-hand, upper support rod is in compression. Perhaps if you show your work, we could locate your mistake.

Nanart,

If you are a practising engineer or physicist, you will find that it does help to sketch your problem reasonably to scale. Many mistakes (including those from textbooks) are due to improperly drawn and hence misleading sketches.

You can sit there and insist that the question is straight from the textbook, but it's not going to help you. Textbooks make mistakes, we all know it.

I suggest you make a sketch reasonably to scale, re-do your moment calculations and post the results, as nvn suggested. When you are convinced, show your teacher the sketch and the calculations, then you'd be getting somewhere.

1. How do I determine the tension in a cable?

To determine the tension in a cable, you will need to know the cable's weight, length, and the angle at which it is being pulled. Using these values, you can use trigonometric equations or a tension calculator to find the tension force.

2. What factors affect the tension in a cable?

The tension in a cable is affected by the weight of the cable, the length of the cable, the angle at which it is being pulled, and any external forces acting on the cable.

3. Can I use a tension meter to measure the tension in a cable?

Yes, a tension meter is a useful tool for measuring the tension in a cable. It uses a spring scale or load cell to measure the force being applied to the cable.

4. How do I ensure that the tension in my cables is within the safe working load?

To ensure that the tension in your cables is within the safe working load, you will need to know the weight of the load being supported, the length of the cable, and the angle at which it is being pulled. Then, you can use a tension calculator or refer to the manufacturer's guidelines to determine the safe working load for your specific cable.

5. How can I prevent excessive tension in my cables?

To prevent excessive tension in your cables, make sure to properly calculate the tension needed for your specific application. Avoid overloading the cable and ensure that it is installed correctly and securely. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and prevent potential issues with excessive tension in cables.