1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

OCR Physics AS Level - Strain gauge, temperature, resistance

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    I have an assignment in which I have to design a laboratory experiment (not real, only in theory i.e. planning) to investigate how the resistance of a strain gauge attached to a piece of wood varies with the temperature of the wood.

*IMPORTANT* My teacher said keep it simple, do not over complicate things. Only school lab equipment is allowed. I have to also make predictions, make a graph (temp vs resistance??), and a sample table (prelimanary results).

So far I have come up with stupid ideas like getting a piece of wood, making a hole, sticking a thermometer in it and then place the whole thing in a beaker. Heating up the beaker with bunsen burner (beaker will be on a tripod) and then taking readings off the thermometer. Obviously there is one big problem, where does the strain gauge come in? Do I have to attach it to the wood, if so, then how do I take the readings of the resistance.

I have other ideas such as attaching the strain gauge using glue onto the piece of wood and then some how connecting this in a circuit, but what components would I use, how would I measure the resistance, how to connect it up and heat up the wood and record temperature??

The official question of this planning exercise is: You are required to design a laboratory experiment to investigate how the resistance of a strain gauge attached to a piece of wood varies with the temperature of the wood.

I have just registered on this forum, although I have been a lurker for quite some time now. If all goes well then I'll probably become an active member here.

Basically, I need a step-by-step method/procedure on this if possible. I also gotta include a diagram and a possible circuit diagram too? Also have to list the apparatus I'm going to use.

~FF

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2008 #2
    Bump. :smile:

EDIT: Does the formula R=pL/A have anything to do with this? Or R=V/I?

Also, I was thinking water baths at different constant temperatures but come to think of it I guess that's not gonna work lol.

EDIT: What do you think of this >> Using a power pack, connect ampmeter and strain-gauge-glued-on-wood-with-a-thermometer-in-it, making a circuit. Then heating up the wood with Bunsen burner and recording the temps and resistance.

~FF

Last edited: May 12, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?