Solving ODE Problems with e^{2s} + 2e^s +2 = 0

• Thread starter tandoorichicken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation is about solving a polynomial equation using substitution and finding the values of lambda and wi for a given complex number.
tandoorichicken
ODE-related problems

How do I find all the solutions of
[tex] e^{2s} + 2e^s +2 = 0 [/tex]
?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like a regular polynomial to me. Replace [itex] e^{s}~with~x [/itex] and see if you can pick it up.

okay thanks, i got that.

This is the last part of a problem for which i completed all the other parts. The question asks to find [itex]\lambda + wi[/itex] such that a given [itex]z = e^{\lambda + wi}[/itex].
For example, given [itex]z = 1-i[/itex], |z| = [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex], arg(z) = -pi/4, so [itex]\lambda + wi = \ln{\sqrt{2}} - \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]

The last part of the problem asks for the same information, except with z = -2i. I have found |z| = 2, arg(z) = -1, but I can't find out what [itex]\lambda + wi[/itex] is supposed to be.

1. What is an ODE problem?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the unknown function y(x) that satisfies a given differential equation, along with any initial or boundary conditions.

2. What are some real-world applications of ODE problems?

ODE problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to model systems that change over time, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

3. How are ODE problems solved?

ODE problems can be solved analytically, using mathematical methods such as separation of variables or power series, or numerically using algorithms such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.

4. What are the differences between ordinary and partial differential equations?

ODEs involve only one independent variable (such as time) and its derivatives, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. ODEs can be solved for a single unknown function, while PDEs typically have multiple unknown functions.

5. How can I check the accuracy of a solution to an ODE problem?

There are several ways to check the accuracy of a solution, including comparing it to known solutions, checking that it satisfies the original ODE and any initial or boundary conditions, and using numerical methods to estimate the error. It is also important to consider the context of the problem and whether the solution makes sense.