How Do I Factorise These Algebraic Expressions?

• Thread starter roxas
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with factorisation questions and someone else providing a summary of the steps to factorise the given expressions. The first expression, 18t^2-2, can be factored into 2(3t+1)(3t-1), while the second expression, 3tx-2sx+15ty-10sy, can be written as (3t-2s)(x+5y).
roxas
so can anyone help me with these factorisation questions?

factorise

18t^2 -2

3tx-2sx+15ty-10sy

can anyone please show me the steps thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the first.
Factorize each term on its own. What are the common factors?

Is it really THAT difficult for you to do a single, trivial, independent action on your own??

That is the main reason why you suck at maths:
Not that maths is "difficult", not that you are "dumb", but quite simply your reluctance to DO any maths at all in the first place

Last edited:
roxas said:
18t^2 -2
Firstly note that there are 2 terms. 18t^2 and -2. These are both divisible by 2, so take a 2 to the front of the brackets and write it like:
2(9t^2 -1)

This will not factorise any further.

roxas said:
3tx-2sx+15ty-10sy
You can write this as x(3t-2s)+5y(3t-2s) by simply taking the x and y terms out of each individual term. Now note that each set of brackets is the same so it can be furthermore factorised to: (3t-2s)(x+5y)

PotatoSalad said:
Firstly note that there are 2 terms. 18t^2 and -2. These are both divisible by 2, so take a 2 to the front of the brackets and write it like:
2(9t^2 -1)

This will not factorise any further.
Do you want to bet on that? :wink:
Don't do the homework for OP, by the way, he must show some of his own work first.

roxas said:
so can anyone help me with these factorisation questions?

factorise

18t^2 -2

3tx-2sx+15ty-10sy

can anyone please show me the steps thx

let me do the first one for you...

18t2-2 = 2(9t2-1) = 2(3t+1)(3t-1).

see if you can do the other one.

1. Why do I struggle with math?

There could be various reasons why you may struggle with math. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the basic concepts, a fear of failure, or a lack of interest. It is important to identify the root cause of the struggle in order to find ways to improve in math.

2. Is it normal to be bad at math?

Yes, it is normal to struggle with math. Just like any other subject, some people may find math more challenging than others. It is important to remember that everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and with practice and determination, anyone can improve in math.

3. How can I improve in math?

There are various ways to improve in math. Some suggestions include seeking help from a tutor, practicing regularly, breaking down problems into smaller steps, and seeking clarification when needed. It is important to find a method that works best for you and to not give up when faced with challenges.

4. Can I be successful in other subjects if I am bad at math?

Yes, being bad at math does not determine your success in other subjects. While math may be a required subject in school, there are many other subjects and career paths that do not heavily rely on math skills. It is important to focus on your strengths and interests rather than letting one subject define your abilities.

5. Will I ever be good at math?

With practice and determination, anyone can improve in math. It may take more effort for some individuals compared to others, but it is possible to become proficient in math. Remember to be patient with yourself and to not give up when faced with challenges.