Omnipotent beings are self-contradictory?

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary: The church was created to tax people for their sins."In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an omnipotent being and whether it can possess contradictory properties such as being an immovable object and an irresistible force at the same time. Some argue that an omnipotent being can do anything and therefore can exist in any form, while others believe that this goes against logic and the concept of an all-powerful being. The conversation also touches on the idea of an omnipotent being taking physical form and the potential implications of this. The conversation also briefly mentions the role of the church and the concept of heaven in relation to sin and absolution.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
I just read an old riddle: What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?
Answer: The description involves a contradiction. For an irresistible force to meet an immovable object, both must exist. But if an irresistible force exists, there exists no immovable object and vice versa.
Wouldn't an omnipotent being be both an irresistible force and an immovable object?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or more simplistic: if God can do anything, can He create a rock so heavy even He can't lift it?

And does omnipotence require the ability to overrule logic? Can God make a circular square? When this sort of question is asked to Believers, a common response is, "Yes He could do that, but He loves logic and wants His creation to be logical, so He voluntarily restrains Himself from doing things that violate logic."

honestrosewater said:
I just read an old riddle: What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?
Answer: The description involves a contradiction. For an irresistible force to meet an immovable object, both must exist. But if an irresistible force exists, there exists no immovable object and vice versa.

Thanks, that's helpful. Lots of ideas seem to involve contradictions like that. You know, like "what's north of the north pole?". As Jacob Bronowski said, "it's precisely the ambiguity of language that makes for rich discovery". Something like that anyway.

Does anyone think an omnipotent being (OB) wouldn't have the properties of being an immovable object and an irresistible force? Could it somehow avoid the contraditiction? I'm inclined to think even an OB has no power at all unless it exists. So if it's impossible for an OB to exist, it's impossible for an OB to exist, and even an OB can't do anything to change that. Does anyone disagree?

That makes sense to me but i would think it is a matter of which one comes first. This probably is because of my programming background but I kinda have gotten used to chewing through things in a chronological order. 1st command,2nd...So if the first ruled out the 2nd, then the 2nd wouldn't compile/exist.
------------------------------------------
Universe.ruleOutOmnipotentBeings();
OmnipotentBeings.ignoreUniverse'sRules();

--or--

OmnipotentBeings.ignoreUniverse'sRules();
Universe.ruleOutOmnipotentBeings();
-----------------------------------------

But you could probably argue about this for hours and not get anywhere.That is just my way of seeing it. Hope you understand what I wrote above...
I think that an omnipotent being could/does do whateverthehell it/she/he wants to, maybe we just can't experience it all...Or maybe it wants logic... If i was an OB I would want some type of logic for the people who worship me.

When an irresistable force meets an unmoveable object, you are met with a roadfork where you must choose one or the other, although both will still EXIST, just not simultaneously. Like f(x) = sqrt(x)

For SOME reason, this makes me think of Schodinger's Cat.

honestrosewater said:
Does anyone think an omnipotent being (OB) wouldn't have the properties of being an immovable object and an irresistible force? Could it somehow avoid the contraditiction? I'm inclined to think even an OB has no power at all unless it exists. So if it's impossible for an OB to exist, it's impossible for an OB to exist, and even an OB can't do anything to change that. Does anyone disagree?
Wouldn't assigning these properties essentially be assigning physical properties to an omnipotent being? I would think that an OB could not exist physically because of the contradiction you mentioned. Of course, when I think of an all-powerful being, I think of the concept of God (an 'OOO' Creator in my case), and I don't envision God as having a physical form.

Math Is Hard said:
Wouldn't assigning these properties essentially be assigning physical properties to an omnipotent being?
I don't know, but assume it does. If an OB could exist in any form, it could exist in a physical form- otherwise it wouldn't be omnipotent. What do you think?
Icebreaker said:
although both will still EXIST, just not simultaneously.
I don't understand. If they both exist, they do exist simultaneously. Do you mean they both possibly exist? Once one of them exists, the other doesn't even possibly exist.

3mpathy said:
I think that an omnipotent being could/does do whateverthehell it/she/he wants to
Sure, once it exists. But can it exist? I don't follow the code.

An omnipotent being is a being that has the potential or power to do anything. So it could be an immovable object or an irresistable force, but that doesn't entail that it always is both. An omnipotent being could take physical form and beat each person in a race, but that doesn't mean that it always is beating people in races. An omnipotent being could destroy the planet Earth, but that doesn't mean that it always is, or that it ever will, just that it can. However, the ability to do anything does not imply the ability to do something contradictory, just as omniscience, possessing all knowledge, does not imply knowing falsehoods. So if being an irresistable force and an immovable object at the same time is contradictory, then it doesn't detract from the power of an omnipotent being if he can't be both at the same time, since it just means that he can't do anything contradictory, which is obvious, because it doesn't make sense to do something that is contradictory.

AKG said:
An omnipotent being is a being that has the potential or power to do anything. So it could be an immovable object or an irresistable force, but that doesn't entail that it always is both.
Oh, right. Heh.

OR, the OB is an energy/consciousness gestalt wherein all knowlege, power, etc resides. If we want the immoveable object we go to it's point of existence or go to the irresitible object's point. Assuming both are continuously expanding it would be necessary to select the power point of each to determine which would survive or succeed the collision.

love&peace,
olde drunk

"heaven was created so that your clergy could charge admission"

1. Is it possible for an omnipotent being to create a stone that it cannot lift?

No, it is not possible for an omnipotent being to create a stone that it cannot lift. This is because an omnipotent being, by definition, has the power to do anything and everything, including lifting any stone. Therefore, the concept of an omnipotent being creating something that it cannot do goes against the very definition of omnipotence.

2. Can an omnipotent being create a square circle?

No, an omnipotent being cannot create a square circle. This is because a square and a circle are two fundamentally different shapes with different properties. It is logically impossible for them to exist as one entity, and an omnipotent being cannot do something that is logically impossible.

3. If an omnipotent being knows everything, can it make mistakes?

No, an omnipotent being cannot make mistakes. This is because knowing everything includes having perfect knowledge and understanding, which would prevent any mistakes from being made. An omnipotent being's omniscience would also extend to knowing the consequences of its actions, ensuring that it does not make any mistakes.

4. How can an omnipotent being be all-powerful if it cannot do something that goes against its own nature?

An omnipotent being's power is not limited by its own nature, but rather by the laws of logic and reason. It cannot do something that is logically impossible, as that would go against its own nature of being all-powerful. This does not diminish its omnipotence, as it is still capable of doing anything that is logically possible.

5. Can an omnipotent being create another omnipotent being?

This is a matter of theological and philosophical debate. Some argue that an omnipotent being could create another omnipotent being, while others believe that the concept of multiple omnipotent beings is contradictory. However, it is generally accepted that an omnipotent being is self-sufficient and does not need to create another being like itself.