On an example of neighborhood.

• Thread starter funcalys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary, the conversation discusses an example of a neighborhood in a metric space where [1/2,1] is a neighborhood of 1 but not of 1/2. The confusion arises when trying to find the exact value of r that satisfies B_[0,1](1,r)⊆[0,1]. It is clarified that any r<1/2 will satisfy this condition, with r=1/2 being the exact value for [1/2,1] being a neighborhood of 1. It is also mentioned that [1/2,1] is not a neighborhood of 1/2 because it contains points that are not in [1/2,1]. The misunderstanding is resolved by
funcalys
Hi folks, as I was reviewing the metric space section in Amann- Escher textbook, I came across the following example of neighborhood:
"For [itex]\left[0,1\right][/itex] with the metric induced from [itex]R[/itex], [itex]\left[\frac{1}{2},1\right][/itex] is a neighborhood of 1, but not of [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]."
However I can't point out the exactly "r">0 satisfying [itex]B_{[0,1]}(1,r)[/itex][itex]\subseteq[0,1][/itex].
:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Won't any r < 1/2 do?

[1/2, 1] is a neighborhood of 1. In this case, r=1/2. Any element, of the ball with a radius of 1/2 centered at 1, has a distance less than 1/2 from 1.

[1/2,1] is not a neighborhood of 1/2. This is because any ball with a radius of r>0 centered at 1/2 contains some elements that are not in [1/2, 1].

guess I misunderstood some of the concept in the first place, I thought the ball centered at 1 must completely lie in the interval [1/2,1].
:D.
Thank guys.

It does! What makes you think there are any numbers in [1/2, 1] that are not in [1/2, 1]?

funcalys said:
guess I misunderstood some of the concept in the first place, I thought the ball centered at 1 must completely lie in the interval [1/2,1].
:D.
Thank guys.

So, for this example, we are not concerned with the entire real line, just the closed unit interval. So, I think that you are probably considering points like 1.1 and 1.2 (for example) to be lying in this ball. However, for this example you can just think about those points as not existing because we only care about points in the closed unit interval.

What is meant by "neighborhood" in scientific research?

In scientific research, "neighborhood" typically refers to a specific geographic location or community that is being studied. This could include a neighborhood in a city, a particular ecosystem, or a social group within a larger population.

Why is studying neighborhoods important in scientific research?

Studying neighborhoods can provide valuable insights into a variety of topics, such as the effects of environmental factors on human health, the spread of diseases within a community, or the impact of social and economic factors on a specific group of people.

How do scientists choose which neighborhoods to study?

The selection of neighborhoods to study often depends on the research question being addressed. Scientists may choose neighborhoods that represent a diverse range of characteristics or that have a high prevalence of a certain phenomenon being studied.

What methods do scientists use to gather data on neighborhoods?

There are several methods that scientists may use to gather data on neighborhoods, including surveys, interviews, observations, and data analysis from sources such as census data or satellite imagery. The specific methods chosen will depend on the research question and available resources.

How do scientists analyze and interpret data from neighborhoods?

Data analysis and interpretation in neighborhood research can involve statistical methods, spatial analysis, and qualitative techniques. Scientists may also use computer models to simulate and predict patterns within neighborhoods. The goal is to gain a deeper understanding of the factors influencing the neighborhood and its inhabitants.