Proof that f is Constant on the Nonnegative Reals

• Thread starter SiddharthM
  • Start date
And since f is constant on [0,\infty), that's all we need.In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for a function f to be equicontinuous on [0,1]. It is shown that if f is constant on the nonnegative reals, then f_n (t)=f(nt) will be equicontinuous on [0,1]. This is proven by choosing a delta that satisfies the equicontinuity condition for all n and x,y in [0,1]. However, this proof only holds for f being constant on [0,∞), and it is later corrected that this condition is necessary and sufficient for f_n (t)=f(nt) to be equicontin
SiddharthM
say a function f is continuous on the reals and there exists a sequence of functions so that f_n (t)=f(nt) for n=1,2,3... also the sequence of functions is equicontinuous on [0,1].

what does show about f? I show f is constant on the nonnegative reals

Let epsilon (from here onwards we shall call it e)>0, then because f_n is equicontinuous there exists a delta>0 s.t. d(x,y)<delta implies |f_n(x)-f_n(y)|<e for all n as long as x,y in [0,1]. Now fix any two positive numbers x,y. since x/n and y/n go to zero there exists a N so that |x/n-y/n|<delta for all n>N and that they are both in [0,1]. Then this means that |f_n(x/n)-f_n(y/n)|<e for all n>N. This means |f(x)-f(y)|<e. Since epsilon is arbitrary we see that f(x)=f(y).

I feel like there should be more to this or maybe that I'm wrong altogether.

What examples satisfy the hypothesis?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
f must be constant on [tex][0,\infty)[/tex]. The way I proved it was by looking at f(0) = f_n(0). Fix any c in [tex][0,\infty)[/tex], and e > 0. Find d > 0 such that |x-y|<d implies |f_n(x)-f_n(y)| < e for all n, x,y in [0,1]. Then choose n such that |c/n| < min{d,1}. Then |f(0)-f(c)| = |f_n(0)-f_n(c/n)| < e. It follows that for any c in [tex][0,\infty)[/tex], and any e > 0, |f(0)-f(c)| < e. Hence f is constant on [tex][0,\infty)[/tex].

(edit: changed the proof to restrict c to [tex][0,\infty)[/tex]).

Last edited:
Actually, I didn't notice the restriction "equicontinuous on [0,1]"... when I did this problem I must have glanced over that.. I assumed f_n was equicontinuous on R.

So all I really proved was that f is constant on [tex][0,\infty)[/tex].

correction

And after a second look, the condition that f is constant on [tex][0,\infty)[/tex] is necessary and sufficient to satisfy the hypothesis.

That is, you can show that as long as f is constant on [tex][0,\infty)[/tex], regardless of what f does on [tex](-\infty,0)[/tex] (even not continuous), then [tex]f_n(x)=f(nx)[/tex] will be equicontinuous on [0,1]. This is actually easy to see: [tex]f_n(x)=f(nx)=C[/tex] for all x in [0,1], hence it's obviously equicontinuous there.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for a function to be constant on the nonnegative reals?

When a function is constant on the nonnegative reals, it means that the output or value of the function remains the same for all nonnegative real numbers inputted into the function. In other words, the graph of the function would be a horizontal line on the nonnegative side of the x-axis.

2. How can you prove that a function is constant on the nonnegative reals?

To prove that a function is constant on the nonnegative reals, you would need to show that the derivative of the function is equal to zero for all nonnegative real numbers. This means that the slope of the function's graph is always zero, indicating a constant value.

3. Can a function be constant on the nonnegative reals and not on the negative reals?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be constant on the nonnegative reals but not on the negative reals. This would mean that the function has different values for negative numbers, but remains the same for all nonnegative numbers.

4. How does a constant function on the nonnegative reals differ from a linear function?

A constant function on the nonnegative reals remains the same for all nonnegative numbers, while a linear function has a constant rate of change and a non-zero y-intercept. In other words, a constant function has a slope of zero, while a linear function has a non-zero slope.

5. Can a function be constant on the nonnegative reals and still have different values for different inputs?

No, a function that is constant on the nonnegative reals will have the same output for all nonnegative real numbers, regardless of the input. This means that the function will have the same value for all inputs on the nonnegative side of the x-axis.