On/Off Alternating Direct current other than a power switch?

In summary, Nick is looking for a part that can automatically alternate his DC power circuit on/off at short intervals. Dave suggests using an oscillator or timer and asks for more information on what Nick is trying to achieve. Nick explains that he wants an electric magnet to turn on/off at regular intervals. Dave provides a possible solution using a relay and asks for the voltage of the electromagnet. Nick thanks Dave for his help and mentions a broken link. Dave clarifies the voltage and offers an alternative solution using a separate power supply for the electromagnet. Nick thanks Dave and says he will start learning about circuit diagrams.
Biasless
Hello,

I would like to know if there is a part I can buy that will alternate my dc power circuit on/off at short intervals automatically

All help much appreciated,
Cheers,
Nick

Engineering news on Phys.org
Biasless said:
Hello,

I would like to know if there is a part I can buy that will alternate my dc power circuit on/off at short intervals automatically

All help much appreciated,
Cheers,
Nick

yes you could with an oscillator or timer
Tell us more about what you are trying to achieve so we can help you better

Dave

Thanks for the help,

trying to have a electric magnet turn on/off at a regular interval

So the magnet would turn on for a second, then turn off for a second
repeating that indefinitely

ok you could use something like this...

attachment.php?attachmentid=36216&stc=1&d=1307430153.gif

see how you go

cheers
Dave

Yeah, sorry abt the broken link, the net crashed as I was trying to do the post
and had to wait till now when i got home from work to repost.

Attachments

• Oscillator 555 and relay.gif
    Oscillator 555 and relay.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
thanks um, the attachments broken ?

now the only thing you haven't said is what voltage you are running the electromagnet from ?

I have assumed 12V. if its different then the top of the relay contact can be removed from the +12V and the bottom of the electromagnet removed from the 0V and they can be put across the separate power supply for the electromagnet

Dave

Thanks for all your help :)

i'll start reading up on understanding circuit diagrams

1. What is On/Off Alternating Direct Current?

On/Off Alternating Direct Current is a type of electrical current that periodically switches between an "on" state and an "off" state. This type of current is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of electricity.

2. How is On/Off Alternating Direct Current different from regular Direct Current?

The main difference between On/Off Alternating Direct Current and regular Direct Current is that the former periodically switches between an "on" and "off" state, while the latter flows continuously in one direction. This allows for more precise control of the electrical flow in electronic devices.

3. What are some common applications of On/Off Alternating Direct Current?

On/Off Alternating Direct Current is commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and home appliances. It is also used in power supplies for LED lights, as well as in motor control systems.

4. How does On/Off Alternating Direct Current work?

This type of current is created by using a switch or controller to rapidly turn the flow of electricity on and off. This creates a pattern of alternating "on" and "off" states, which can be used to control the output of the electrical device.

5. What are the advantages of using On/Off Alternating Direct Current?

One of the main advantages of On/Off Alternating Direct Current is its ability to control the flow of electricity with precision. This can be useful in electronic devices that require specific levels of power at different times. Additionally, this type of current is more energy-efficient, as it only uses electricity when it is needed.