Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On solving PDE using separating the variable.

1. May 5, 2013 #1
    hi..

with refrenence to http://www.math.uah.edu/howell/MAPH/Archives/Old_Notes/PDEs/PDE1.pdf [Broken]
    page 7,
    “Observe” that the only way we can have
    formula of t only= formula of x only​
    is for both sides to be equal to a single constant.

here I do understand that for these to being equal requires them to be constant, because changing either t or x would affect either side of the formula breaking the inequality, so to be equal they are supposed to be a constant. (please correct me if i go wrong anywhere..)
    Now what i am not sure about is that these two formulas can also be equal to each other for a specific value of x and t, is this anything to do with the constant that they will be equal to??

It is said that the constant say k is arbitrary, suggesting these two sides are equal for more than one value of x and y... how is this said?

(I gave the link so that i don't have to explain what i am asking, because i don't know the correct terms and that might turn confusing.. no copyright violation intended)

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you are asking here. If X(x)= T(t) for all x and t, then, yes, they must be equal to the same constant for all x and t, which, of course, includes any "specific value of x and t".

(You mean "t" not "y", right?) What do you mean "for more than one value of x and t"?? You just said they were equal for all x and t. That surely includes more than one!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. May 5, 2013 #3
    Okay i got it..
    If X(x) = T(t) for all x and t, and there is no relation or interdependence between x and t other than this, then X(x)= constant just as T(t). And this constant is constant for all values of x and t... Thanks for the quick help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook