On th average, how many times do you visit the Stat forum?

In summary, I think the poll is pointless because it doesn't seem to be going to help answer the question it was created for.

Since summer, how many times have you been to the statistics forum?

• Once or twice a day

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Three or four times a day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never been there since summer.

Votes: 22 95.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
moonman239
I'm using this data to get an idea of how long it might take to get a thread there answered. So please, for the sake of accuracy, don't joke. I'd imagine that since summertime is here, not many people go there.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should add a block for having never been there at all.

Why don't you just make the thread and see if it gets answered?

I don't see how this poll is going to accomplish its stated goal.

Ah, a Type-III error. This thread should be moved to Statistics.

Pattonias said:
You should add a block for having never been there at all.

Seconded.

You can also look at the # of people currently viewing the forum.

We have a stat forum :confused:?

I have never been there even before summer..

I didn't even know we had a stats forum. Can you please link it here?

moonman239 said:
I'm using this data to get an idea of how long it might take to get a thread there answered. So please, for the sake of accuracy, don't joke. I'd imagine that since summertime is here, not many people go there.

You're looking for stats about how effectively/quickly your stats questions are going to be answered?

Wow... you sure love... stats...

kramer733 said:
I didn't even know we had a stats forum. Can you please link it here?

It's also the set theory and probability forum. It's where threads go to die and crackpots go to pretend to prove Fermat's Last Theorem

Option 5: I have no idea how often.

I browse PF by 'New', regardless of what fora the new threads are posted in. So, if you post, I'll probably see it.

well, i can now say I've been there. and the first thing i see is someone asking about multivariate gaussian distributions and estimation. yikes, been forever since i played with that stuff, and when i did it was always in the context of Kalman Filters. even if i still remembered enough about linear estimators to carry on a conversation about it, i find that i hate stats so much that it's hard to put in the effort to see it from a stats POV. sorry. isn't stats the dismal math?

Proton Soup said:
well, i can now say I've been there. and the first thing i see is someone asking about multivariate gaussian distributions and estimation. yikes, been forever since i played with that stuff, and when i did it was always in the context of Kalman Filters. even if i still remembered enough about linear estimators to carry on a conversation about it, i find that i hate stats so much that it's hard to put in the effort to see it from a stats POV. sorry. isn't stats the dismal math?

For some reasons, our vector calculus elce-mag professor believed stat is piece of cake. I found the opposite: maxwell much easier than stat.

rootX said:
For some reasons, our vector calculus elce-mag professor believed stat is piece of cake. I found the opposite: maxwell much easier than stat.

Dismal doesn't mean easy, it just means dismal

Office_Shredder said:
It's where threads go to die

As is the case with this one thread I saw-was created at least a year ago and never got an answer.

Office_Shredder said:
Dismal doesn't mean easy, it just means dismal

So, am I to assume you are in the same class?

Hmm...stats...that's the field where you develop methods to mathematically justify what your gut already decided was correct, right? :biggrin:

I've been in there before, but it was a long time ago, and I don't remember if it was on purpose, by accident, or to clean up spam.

Honestly, I was thinking the stats forum was like a place where you can find detailed statistics about physics forums.

moonman239 said:
As is the case with this one thread I saw-was created at least a year ago and never got an answer.

There are threads that don't get answered in most forums; you should look at most of the recent threads and see what the success rate was on answering questions

Moonbear said:
Hmm...stats...that's the field where you develop methods to mathematically justify what your gut already decided was correct, right? :biggrin:
Never knew you're a bayesian, MB :smile:

Related to On th average, how many times do you visit the Stat forum?

1. How often should I visit the Stat forum?

The frequency of your visits to the Stat forum will depend on your individual needs and interests. Some people may visit the forum daily, while others may only visit once a week. It is recommended to visit at least a few times a week to stay updated on discussions and new information.

2. What are the benefits of visiting the Stat forum?

Visiting the Stat forum allows you to stay informed about current trends and discussions in the field of statistics. It is also a great place to ask questions, seek advice, and learn from other experts in the field.

3. Can I visit the Stat forum even if I am not a statistician?

Absolutely! The Stat forum welcomes anyone with an interest in statistics, regardless of their background or level of expertise. It is a great place for beginners to learn from more experienced members and for experts to share their knowledge with others.

4. How many members are active on the Stat forum?

The number of active members on the Stat forum can vary, but there are typically thousands of active members worldwide. This makes the forum a great place to connect with a diverse community of statisticians and learn from their perspectives and experiences.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for visiting the Stat forum?

Yes, there are guidelines for participating in the Stat forum to ensure a respectful and productive environment for all members. These guidelines include being respectful and courteous to others, avoiding spam or self-promotion, and staying on topic. It is important to review and follow these guidelines to make the most out of your forum experience.