One-dimensional Gravitational motion

In summary, we have a small ball with a mass of 0.040 kg released from rest from a tall building, taking 2.80 seconds to reach the ground. Using this information, we can calculate the height from which the ball was released. Additionally, if the same ball were released from the same height above the surface of the moon, we can calculate how long it would take for the ball to hit the ground. To do this, we can find the relevant equations for free fall and gather the necessary information from a textbook or website such as Hyper Physics.
nycjay222
A) It takes 2.80 s for a small ball with a mass of 0.040 kg released from rest from a tall building to reach the ground. Calculate the height from which the ball is released.

B)If that ball had been released from the same height, but this time above the surface of the moon, how long would it have taken for the ball to hit the ground?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nycjay222,
Welcome to PF.
How much you know about the free fall?
Can you find out the relevant equations for free fall?

i really don't know anything this is my first encounter with physics and my ta is behind and I haven't learned much to do these which is why I am so stranded !

Have you got any textbook?
Go to Hyper Physics site and collect the required information.

1. What is one-dimensional gravitational motion?

One-dimensional gravitational motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line under the influence of gravity. This type of motion can be described by the laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation.

2. How is the motion of an object affected by gravity in one-dimensional motion?

In one-dimensional gravitational motion, the object is pulled towards the center of the Earth by the force of gravity. This results in a constant acceleration of the object towards the ground.

3. What is the equation for calculating the acceleration of an object in one-dimensional gravitational motion?

The equation for calculating the acceleration of an object in one-dimensional gravitational motion is a = g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity and is equal to 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²).

4. Can an object's velocity change in one-dimensional gravitational motion?

Yes, an object's velocity can change in one-dimensional gravitational motion. The object's velocity will increase as it falls towards the ground due to the constant acceleration caused by gravity. However, when the object reaches the ground, its velocity will become zero.

5. What are some real-life examples of one-dimensional gravitational motion?

Some real-life examples of one-dimensional gravitational motion include a ball being thrown straight up into the air, a roller coaster going up and down a hill, and a skydiver falling towards the ground. These are all examples of objects moving in a straight line under the influence of gravity.