Can You Solve This Integration Problem with a Little Help from Trigonometry?

• Thread starter Ravenatic20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, integration problems involve finding the area under a curve and are used to solve various real-world problems. There are two types of integration: definite and indefinite, which have different goals. Some common methods for solving integration problems include substitution, integration by parts, and numerical methods such as the trapezoidal and Simpson's rules. To improve skills in solving integration problems, practice, understanding calculus concepts, and seeking help from a tutor or attending workshops can be beneficial.
Ravenatic20
This is what I have so far:

[tex]\int (\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4 + x^2}}) dx [/tex]

[tex]x = 2 tan u[/tex]
[tex]dx = (2 sec^2u) du[/tex]

[tex]x^2 = 4 tan^2 u[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{4 + x^2} = \sqrt{4 + 4 tan^2 u}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{4 + x^2} = \sqrt{4 (1 + tan^2 u}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{4 + x^2} = \sqrt{4 sec^2 u}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{4 + x^2} = 2 sec u[/tex]

Then I have:

[tex]\int (\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4 + x^2}}) dx = \int \frac{4 tan^2 u}{2 sec u} 2 sec^2 u du[/tex]

[tex]\int (\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4 + x^2}}) dx = \int (4 tan^2 u)(sec u) du[/tex]

I keep getting stuck on this part, any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming your work is correct ...

[tex]4\int\tan^{2}\theta\sec \theta d\theta[/tex]

[tex]4\int(\sec \theta \tan \theta) \tan \theta d\theta[/tex]

Or go straight to this ...

[tex]4\int(\sec^{3}\theta-\sec \theta) d\theta[/tex]

Either way, integration by parts!

Last edited:
Taking that...

[tex]4\int(\sec u \tan u) \tan u du[/tex]

And knowing that:

[tex]\int(\sec u \tan u) du = \sec u + C[/tex]

and...

[tex]\int\sec u du = ln |\sec u + \tan u|)+ C[/tex]

Can we just do it by parts that way?

So...

[tex]\int (\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4 + x^2}}) dx = 4(\sec u + ln |\sec u + \tan u|) + C[/tex]

(crosses figures) :blushing:

Ravenatic20 said:
Can we just do it by parts that way?
You must be drunk!

[tex]4\int(\sec \theta \tan \theta) \tan \theta d\theta[/tex]

Usually, you want to reserve "u" so I'm using theta in it's place.

[tex]u=\tan \theta[/tex]
[tex]du=\sec^{2} \theta d\theta[/tex]

[tex]dV=\sec \theta \tan \theta d\theta[/tex]
[tex]V=\sec \theta[/tex]

[tex]4\int(\sec \theta \tan \theta) \tan \theta d\theta=4(\sec \theta \tan \theta-\int\sec^{3}\theta d\theta)[/tex]

Do parts again, you will actually have to do it 3x, I think. Take [tex]\int\sec^{3}\theta d\theta[/tex] to the side and you will notice that you get it back. Just move it to the other side and divide by the constant, and it's solved.

Last edited:
No I'm not drunk, I'm just new to this material. However I think were just about done:

I understand how you did everything, so now...

[tex]4\int(\sec \theta \tan \theta) \tan \theta d\theta=4(\sec \theta \tan \theta-\int\sec^{3}\theta d\theta)[/tex]
Where... [tex]\int\sec^{3}\theta d\theta) = \frac{1}{2} \sec \theta \tan \theta + \frac{1}{2} ln|sec \theta + tan \theta| + C[/tex]

This gives us:
[tex]\int (\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{4 + x^2}}) dx = 4 (\sec x \tan x)-\frac{1}{2} \sec x \tan x + \frac{1}{2} ln|sec x + tan x| + C[/tex]

?

To be honest, I did not work it out myself. Looks good though! Btw, hopefully you weren't angry with my comment. I didn't mean anything by it in terms of you just having learned this :p But um, your answer could be right, all depends if your teacher wants you to re-substitute ... this would be the most painful part, lol.

Haha no offense taken and thanks for your help!

Actually, he meant it helps to be drunk when doing calculus!

A much faster way to learn these type of integrals is to go through a standard textbook step by step, and use paper and pen.

ssd said:
A much faster way to learn these type of integrals is to go through a standard textbook step by step, and use paper and pen.
Really? Mr. Obvious.

Another way of doing this integral is by using the substitution:

[tex]x=2\cdot sinh(t)[/tex]

after setting:

[tex]x^2=x^2+4-4[/tex]

in the numerator. You will end up with:

[tex]I=\frac{x}{2}\sqrt{4+x^2}-2\cdot argsinh\left( \frac{x}{2}\right)+C[/tex]

Btw: I'm sober :wink:

rocophysics said:
Really? Mr. Obvious.
Some times people has to be more obvious than needed for some people who are reluctent to see in textbooks the standard result like

integral [sqrt(a^2 + x^2)] dx = (x/2) sqrt(a^2 + x^2)+ [(a^2)/2] ln|(x+sqrt(a^2+x^2)|+c
(I leave the derivation of this result for obvious reasons)

and cannot see x^2 = x^2 +a^2-a^2, as shown in the previous post by COOMAST. Then the remaining term is easily (obviously?) undone by substituting x=2tan(u).
After COOMAST's method, I would prefer this method as it will be easier to go back in terms of the original veriable. Is it obv...?

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
Actually, he meant it helps to be drunk when doing calculus!

Don't drink and derive.

1. What is an integration problem?

An integration problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a certain interval.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of real-world problems. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance to analyze and model various phenomena.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the specific value of a definite integral, while indefinite integration involves finding the general antiderivative of a function. In simpler terms, definite integration gives a specific answer, while indefinite integration gives a family of answers.

4. What are some common methods for solving integration problems?

Some common methods for solving integration problems include the substitution method, integration by parts, and partial fractions. There are also numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule and Simpson's rule, for approximating the value of an integral.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving integration problems?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving integration problems. It is also helpful to understand the fundamental concepts of calculus and familiarize yourself with various integration techniques. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending math workshops can also aid in improving your skills.