1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One more antiderivative question.

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1
    Hi there, I am trying to find the antiderivative of [tex]\frac{1}{2x}[/tex] but can't seem to do it. I am trying to separate the terms so that I can do each antiderivative seperately, but I don't see a way to do that.

My most natural first attempt is to convert it to [tex]2x^{-1}[/tex] but of course since they are not separated by a + or minus (the 2 and the x^-1) I can't use antiderivative laws on it. If I did, I would end up with [tex] 2x*ln(\abs{x})[/tex] which is wrong. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

PS- I have not learned to integrate by parts or anything like that yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

[tex]\frac{1}{2x}=\frac{1}{2}*\frac{1}{x}=a*\frac{1}{x}=\frac{a}{x}, a=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
    Does that help?

4. Oct 20, 2006 #3
    Woops sorry, some bad algebra there. I meant [tex]\frac{1}{2}*x^{-1}[/tex].

But no, I don't think it does, because I would get [tex]\frac{x}{2}*ln(|x|)[/tex] wouldn't I? (Assuming you mean to just use the antiderivative formulas immediately) :(. What am I doing wrong?

5. Oct 20, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What is the derivative of g(x)=a*f(x), where "a" is a constant?

6. Oct 20, 2006 #5

radou

Homework Helper

You don't need to know how to integrate by parts to solve this, since [tex]\int \frac{1}{x}dx = \ln \left|x \right|+C[/tex] is a typical 'table integral'. You'll find the integral of [tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2x}[/tex] easily now by reading arildno's comments.

7. Oct 20, 2006 #6
    Ahh kk I get it, [tex]=\frac{1}{2}*ln(|x|)[/tex] :)

Thanks!!!

8. Oct 20, 2006 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That is indeed correct.:smile:

9. Oct 20, 2006 #8

radou

Homework Helper

Correct, but don't forget to add the constant of integration, C (or whatever you like to name it). :smile:

10. Oct 20, 2006 #9
    True, thanks. =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?