Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One question about h*f=m*c*c

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    f is the frequency of a particle.
    In the theory of relativity, energy equals m*c*c.
    In the theory of Photoelectric effect, energy equals h*f
    If the particle keeps still.
    m is the rest mass of the particle.
    In this case the frequency is 0 and h*f is 0
    However m*c*c isn't 0.
    It's a little strange.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2
    I think E=hf is just for particles with 0 rest mass such as photons. So m*c*c is 0.

4. Sep 13, 2009 #3

diazona

Homework Helper

Well... actually, you can say [itex]E = hf[/itex] for massive particles too (although the formula is usually used for massless particles, true) The reason this works is that the formula for energy is actually
    [tex]E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4[/tex]
    If you set [itex]p=0[/itex], then you get [itex]E = mc^2[/itex] - but only then. The popular version of Einstein's formula applies only to particles at rest.

In this case [itex]E = hf[/itex] is used to define the frequency of a particle.

I refer you to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter_wave for more information.

5. Sep 13, 2009 #4
    Well, the mass can be alternatively defined as the rest frequency of a wave. [tex]f_0 = m c^2 / h [/tex]. De broglie postulated that every massive particle has an internal clock whose frequency is fixed by the mass, and actually this intrinsic periodicity of the particles has been observed in a recent experiment [ http://www.ensmp.fr/aflb/AFLB-301/aflb301m416.pdf [Broken] ]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Sep 13, 2009 #5
    From the full formula given by diazona you can see that when mc^2 is zero but the particle still has energy it must all be in E = pc.
    Thus the particles with no rest mass have momentum, frequency, and energy. having no rest mass they must travel at c.

7. Sep 14, 2009 #6
    I think when the mc^2 is zero, p must be zero. So the E=pc must be zero.

8. Sep 14, 2009 #7
    It seemed have answered my question. I will read the paper first.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Sep 14, 2009 #8
  10. Sep 15, 2009 #9
  11. Sep 16, 2009 #10
    Zong Xiaobo -I think when the mc^2 is zero, p must be zero. So the E=pc must be zero.

No ! A photon transports energy, it has momentum p = hf/c
    You know that light has momentum everytime you sit on the beach.
    E = hfc/c = hf.

12. Sep 16, 2009 #11
    I think when a photon travel at a speed of c. The invariant mass of a photon isn't zero.
    So mc^2 isn't zero.

13. Sep 16, 2009 #12
    That statement is not only not logical - if the invariant mass is able to vary, then it's not invariant - but it's just wrong in physics.

14. Sep 17, 2009 #13
  15. Sep 17, 2009 #14
    It seemed that I misunderstand what you said.
    when you mentioned mc^2, m is the rest mass.
    I always consider m as the relativistic mass.

16. Sep 17, 2009 #15

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You might want to read an entry in the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook