Why does m*c*c not equal 0 in the theory of relativity?

• Thread starter Zong xiaobo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy and its relation to mass and frequency in the theories of relativity and photoelectric effect. It is mentioned that for particles with 0 rest mass, such as photons, the formula E=hf is used to define the frequency, and that the mass can also be defined as the rest frequency of a wave. However, it is clarified that the relativistic mass of a photon is not 0, but its invariant mass is. The conversation also touches upon the idea of particles with no rest mass having momentum, frequency, and energy, and that the full formula for energy includes both momentum and mass.
Zong xiaobo
f is the frequency of a particle.
In the theory of relativity, energy equals m*c*c.
In the theory of Photoelectric effect, energy equals h*f
If the particle keeps still.
m is the rest mass of the particle.
In this case the frequency is 0 and h*f is 0
However m*c*c isn't 0.
It's a little strange.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think E=hf is just for particles with 0 rest mass such as photons. So m*c*c is 0.

Well... actually, you can say [itex]E = hf[/itex] for massive particles too (although the formula is usually used for massless particles, true) The reason this works is that the formula for energy is actually
[tex]E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4[/tex]
If you set [itex]p=0[/itex], then you get [itex]E = mc^2[/itex] - but only then. The popular version of Einstein's formula applies only to particles at rest.

In this case [itex]E = hf[/itex] is used to define the frequency of a particle.

I refer you to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matter_wave for more information.

Well, the mass can be alternatively defined as the rest frequency of a wave. [tex]f_0 = m c^2 / h [/tex]. De broglie postulated that every massive particle has an internal clock whose frequency is fixed by the mass, and actually this intrinsic periodicity of the particles has been observed in a recent experiment [ http://www.ensmp.fr/aflb/AFLB-301/aflb301m416.pdf ]

Last edited by a moderator:
From the full formula given by diazona you can see that when mc^2 is zero but the particle still has energy it must all be in E = pc.
Thus the particles with no rest mass have momentum, frequency, and energy. having no rest mass they must travel at c.

map19 said:
From the full formula given by diazona you can see that when mc^2 is zero but the particle still has energy it must all be in E = pc.
Thus the particles with no rest mass have momentum, frequency, and energy. having no rest mass they must travel at c.

I think when the mc^2 is zero, p must be zero. So the E=pc must be zero.

Halcyon-on said:
Well, the mass can be alternatively defined as the rest frequency of a wave. [tex]f_0 = m c^2 / h [/tex]. De broglie postulated that every massive particle has an internal clock whose frequency is fixed by the mass, and actually this intrinsic periodicity of the particles has been observed in a recent experiment [ http://www.ensmp.fr/aflb/AFLB-301/aflb301m416.pdf ]

It seemed have answered my question. I will read the paper first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zong Xiaobo -I think when the mc^2 is zero, p must be zero. So the E=pc must be zero.

No ! A photon transports energy, it has momentum p = hf/c
You know that light has momentum everytime you sit on the beach.
E = hfc/c = hf.

map19 said:
Zong Xiaobo -I think when the mc^2 is zero, p must be zero. So the E=pc must be zero.

No ! A photon transports energy, it has momentum p = hf/c
You know that light has momentum everytime you sit on the beach.
E = hfc/c = hf.

I think when a photon travel at a speed of c. The invariant mass of a photon isn't zero.
So mc^2 isn't zero.

That statement is not only not logical - if the invariant mass is able to vary, then it's not invariant - but it's just wrong in physics.

map19 said:
That statement is not only not logical - if the invariant mass is able to vary, then it's not invariant - but it's just wrong in physics.

I'm sorry, I made a mistake, the invariant mass of a photon is zero, however the relativistic mass of a photon isn't zero.
I will give you a link:http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/ParticleAndNuclear/photon_mass.html

map19 said:

It seemed that I misunderstand what you said.
when you mentioned mc^2, m is the rest mass.
I always consider m as the relativistic mass.

Zong xiaobo said:
It seemed that I misunderstand what you said.
when you mentioned mc^2, m is the rest mass.
I always consider m as the relativistic mass.

You might want to read an entry in the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum.

Zz.

What is the meaning of "h*f=m*c*c"?

"h*f=m*c*c" is a mathematical equation known as the Planck-Einstein relation. It relates the energy of a photon (h*f) to its frequency (f) and the speed of light (c) through the constant of proportionality, Planck's constant (h).

What is the significance of "h*f=m*c*c" in physics?

"h*f=m*c*c" is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the relationship between energy and frequency of electromagnetic radiation. It also played a crucial role in the development of the theory of special relativity by Albert Einstein.

How is "h*f=m*c*c" related to the wave-particle duality of light?

"h*f=m*c*c" is related to the wave-particle duality of light through the concept of a photon, which is a particle-like unit of light that carries energy and exhibits wave-like behavior. The equation shows that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, supporting the dual nature of light.

Can "h*f=m*c*c" be applied to all forms of electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, "h*f=m*c*c" is a universal equation that can be applied to all forms of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays.

How does "h*f=m*c*c" relate to the uncertainty principle?

"h*f=m*c*c" is related to the uncertainty principle through Planck's constant (h). The uncertainty principle states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with absolute certainty. Planck's constant is a fundamental constant that sets a limit on the precision with which these properties can be measured.