One question about piezoelectric

In summary, the voltmeter cannot measure anything different from 0 in a static setup - it is conducting, and you cannot violate energy conservation.
athosanian
hello, I have a question about piezoelectric material.
In general piezoelectric material is ferroelectric which has spontaneous polarization. The spontaneous polarization should produce depolarization filed in the material leading to some voltage across the electrodes of the material. But I measured some piezoelectric plates across electrodes and found zero voltage. I know that is true and there should be something wrong with my thinking. but whre is it? Thanks for help!

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you measure the voltage? With a voltmeter, you cannot measure anything different from 0 in a static setup - it is conducting, and you cannot violate energy conservation.
In addition, I would expect that your material itself is conducting as well, and electrons can cancel the voltage.

hello, sir, I very appreciate your reply. I think that is a point. I use a conventional volt-meter or oscilloscope to measure the voltage. So the accumulated charges will dissipate when the electrodes are connected to volt-meter and they dissipate quickly. Thus we cannot measure the DC voltage from the peizo even there is a DC depolarization field exists in it.

By the way, I still want to confirm whether there is spontaneous polarization in the piezo materials. I know the piezo materials need to be poled under high temperature and electric field before applications. So if there is spontaneous polarization, comes my following confusing.
Given a piezo disk with polarization along the thickness direction, with upper and bottom surface silver coated as electrodes. the spontaneous polarization of piezo disk is denoted as P0. When disk is in such a state, without any stress applied on it and the upper and bottom electrodes are connected. Then the stress and electric field in the piezo disk is zero. so from the constitutive equation:
      D=ε*E+d*T
(where D is electric displacement, ε is electric permittivity, E is electric field, d is piezoelectric coefficient and T is stress.), the D is 0 in the piezo disk in such a state. However, because of spontaneous polarization in the piezo disk the D should not be 0, it should be P0 ! What is wrong with above thinking? I hope some help.

Hello, thank you for your question about piezoelectric material. It is important to note that not all piezoelectric materials exhibit the same properties and behaviors. While some may exhibit spontaneous polarization, others may not. Additionally, factors such as crystal orientation, temperature, and mechanical stress can also affect the generation of voltage in a piezoelectric material.

It is possible that the material you measured does not have a spontaneous polarization or that the polarization is very weak. Another possibility is that the material may have been depolarized due to factors such as temperature or mechanical stress. In order to accurately measure the voltage generated by a piezoelectric material, it is important to carefully control these factors and ensure that the material is properly polarized.

I would recommend further experimentation and research to better understand the properties of the piezoelectric material you are using. Additionally, consulting with experts in the field of piezoelectricity can also provide valuable insights and help address any discrepancies in your measurements. I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What is piezoelectricity and how does it work?

Piezoelectricity refers to the ability of certain materials, such as crystals and ceramics, to generate an electric charge in response to mechanical stress. This is known as the direct piezoelectric effect. Conversely, these materials can also experience a change in shape or mechanical stress when an electric field is applied, known as the inverse piezoelectric effect. This phenomenon is due to the arrangement of atoms within the material, which creates a dipole moment that can be shifted by mechanical or electrical forces.

2. What are some common applications of piezoelectric materials?

Piezoelectric materials have a wide range of applications, including sensors, actuators, energy harvesting devices, and medical devices. They are commonly used in pressure sensors, accelerometers, ultrasound transducers, and microphones. They can also be found in everyday items such as lighters, igniters, and quartz watches.

3. Can piezoelectric materials be used to generate electricity?

Yes, piezoelectric materials can be used to generate electricity through the inverse piezoelectric effect. When a mechanical force is applied to the material, it creates a voltage difference between the two surfaces, which can be harnessed to produce electricity. This is known as piezoelectric energy harvesting and is being explored as a potential renewable energy source.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using piezoelectric materials?

One potential drawback of piezoelectric materials is their limited range of motion and deformation. They are also sensitive to high temperatures, which can cause them to lose their piezoelectric properties. Additionally, the manufacturing process for these materials can be expensive and time-consuming.

5. Can piezoelectric materials be used for energy storage?

Yes, piezoelectric materials can be used for energy storage through the use of piezoelectric capacitors. These devices store energy in the form of an electric charge, which is generated when the material is mechanically stressed. However, their energy storage capacity is relatively low compared to other energy storage technologies, such as batteries and supercapacitors.