1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

Testing the piezoelectric properties of Quartz Crystals

1. Hello :)

I am Jon and I am conducting an experiment with Quartz Crystals to test their piezoelectric properties. I wanted to ask you a question about my experiment set up.

Which type of force is required to be applied for voltage to be produced? Could I apply a compressive force with clamps on one end of the crystal, and wrap a long piece of copper wire on its other end so to measure the voltage produced.

Could you please advise me if I am carrying out the experiment correctly? What kind of a force do we have to apply to Quartz Crystals for a voltage to be produced?

Please advise me on my experiment set up.

Thank you very much!
    Jon

2. jcsd
  3. UltrafastPED

UltrafastPED 1,919
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is probably easiest with a repeating force - so carefully glue the piezo crystal to a small speaker.

As for attachments, disassemble a cheap microphone - you will find a small piezo inside.

Here is a homebrew piezo club:
    http://makezine.com/2011/03/11/collins-lab-homebrew-piezo/

4. Thank you!

5. UltrafastPED

UltrafastPED 1,919
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just click the "Thanks" button. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted