Online ME or AE Program for Active Duty Military Service Members

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's friend who is in the military and is looking to start an online program to earn his bachelor's degree in either Mechanical or Aerospace engineering while serving. They are seeking recommendations for good online programs for service members and suggestions to ask his CO for recommendations.
AJSayad
Hello everyone,

I have a friend who serves in the military, he enlisted right out of high school (about 3 years ago) and he is looking to start a program to earn his bachelors degree. Due to his current role in the military, he needs to take courses online in order to fulfill his duties.

He has reached out to me to find online bachelor programs in either Mechanical or Aerospace engineering. He intends on earning his bachelors while serving and then earning his masters degree afterwards to work in the aerospace industry.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good online program for service members while they finish their contracts. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I noticed that several good related threads are listed down below your new thread. Maybe click into a few of those to get some ideas. This thread in that list had some good clarifying questions that you might consider asking your friend:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ical-engineering-active-duty-military.940853/

Also, has your friend asked his CO if there are recommendations for what online courses/universities to pursue? I'm sure this has come up in the past, and the Military is pretty good at organizing procedures and recommendations.

Also paging @scottdave

Likes AJSayad
That's a great point I completely forgot to check the other threads, thank you! I also check with him about his CO and recommendations. Thanks for the help!

Likes berkeman

1. What is an Online ME or AE Program for Active Duty Military Service Members?

An Online ME or AE Program for Active Duty Military Service Members is a distance learning program that allows active duty military service members to pursue a degree in Mechanical Engineering (ME) or Aerospace Engineering (AE) while serving in the military. These programs are designed to be flexible and accommodating to the unique needs and schedules of active duty military members.

2. How does an Online ME or AE Program for Active Duty Military Service Members work?

An Online ME or AE Program for Active Duty Military Service Members typically involves online coursework that can be completed at any time and from any location with internet access. The courses are often self-paced, allowing students to work at their own speed. Some programs may also require occasional on-campus visits or virtual meetings with professors.

3. What are the benefits of an Online ME or AE Program for Active Duty Military Service Members?

There are several benefits to pursuing an Online ME or AE Program for Active Duty Military Service Members. These programs allow active duty military members to continue their education while serving their country, without having to put their careers on hold. They also offer flexibility and convenience, as the coursework can be completed on a schedule that works for the student. Additionally, these programs may offer discounted tuition rates for military members.

4. What are the eligibility requirements for an Online ME or AE Program for Active Duty Military Service Members?

The eligibility requirements for an Online ME or AE Program for Active Duty Military Service Members may vary depending on the specific program. Generally, applicants must be active duty military members and meet the academic requirements for admission, such as a high school diploma or equivalent. Some programs may also require a minimum number of years of military service or a certain rank.

5. Are there any financial aid options available for an Online ME or AE Program for Active Duty Military Service Members?

Yes, there are several financial aid options available for active duty military members pursuing an Online ME or AE Program. These may include military tuition assistance, GI Bill benefits, scholarships specifically for military members, and federal student aid. It is important for students to research and apply for all available financial aid options to help cover the cost of their education.