Only one pole in a horseshoe magnet

Is it possible for a horseshoe magnet to have only one pole? For example, if i take a horseshoe shaped iron core and wind a conductor such that both the ends of the horseshoe have current flowing in the clockwise direction, then both ends are south poles. Is this possible? In that case how are the domains aligned?

Answers and Replies

You create the equivalent of two permanent magnets with equal poles held together: The fields will largely cancel each other and you get a complex and weak sum of the two fields.

You cannot create magnetic monopoles that way. While these might exist as elementary particles, no magnetic monopole has ever been found - if they exist at all, they must be incredibly rare.

Likes CWatters, davenn, sophiecentaur and 1 other person
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is it possible for a horseshoe magnet to have only one pole? For example, if i take a horseshoe shaped iron core and wind a conductor such that both the ends of the horseshoe have current flowing in the clockwise direction, then both ends are south poles. Is this possible? In that case how are the domains aligned?
As mfb pointed out, you are connecting the two coils in series opposition. This way, you are reducing the net magnetic field inside the magnet by effectively reducing the inductance of the coil (look up series-aiding and series-opposing coil connections).

You create the equivalent of two permanent magnets with equal poles held together: The fields will largely cancel each other and you get a complex and weak sum of the two fields.

You cannot create magnetic monopoles that way. While these might exist as elementary particles, no magnetic monopole has ever been found - if they exist at all, they must be incredibly rare.

Thank you...

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
You are proposing, effectively two solenoids, connected by an iron bar, joining S pole to S pole. I cannot find an image of the fields round that particular setup but the images in this link may give you an idea of what to expect. You will see that the lines of force that you were thinking would somehow disappear will, in fact, bend round from S to N poles. The result will not be symmetrical but those lines will still find their way from N to S, whatever you do with them. In all the possible set ups you can see, the lines are complete - sometimes going through both magnets.