Op-amp integrator and differentiator in real-life

• Thread starter Kruum
  • Start date
I've gone through some light theory on op-amps and can understand that fully. What I don't understand are the real-life applications for integrator and differentiator. What does the output signal looks like? Can somebody shed some light on these?

Answers and Replies

If you use an inverter configuration op amp with a resistor R in series with the neg input and a feedback capacitor C from the output to the neg input, it is an integrator. Put a square wave in and get a triangle wave out. If you put occasional pulses V volts high and T sec wide in, the output will be proportional to the input voltage V divided by R times pulse width T divided by capacitance C.

If you replace the input R with a capacitor, and use a feedback resistor instead of a capacitor, you will get positive and negative spikes out (differentiated signal), good for triggering scalers, etc.

if you integrate a constant, you get a ramp. and that you could use to deflect an electron in a CRT to draw a horizontal line, and to gradually move that line a little lower vertically each sweep.

maybe about as interesting as vacuum tubes with today's technology, tho.

Thanks for the replies guys! I can't wait to be able to put theory into practise. All these sound like gold, espescially the PID controllere sounds something I'm going to need quite a lot.

You can also use them to calculate velocity, & position from accelerometer.