Open & Closed/Thermodynamic proofing

• Thread starter jaebaeli
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a closed system and its application to evolution. It is mentioned that natural selection is not the determining factor in whether a system is closed or open, but rather the exchange of energy and matter. The idea of a transferant, or something that facilitates the transfer of energy, is also introduced. However, it is ultimately questioned whether the statement about natural selection and open systems is accurate.
jaebaeli
I am the author of 16 books, but a current one requires some understanding I don't have. I'm a neophyte in the areas of physics, cosmology and such. I hope that some of you degreed folks can tell me if the following statement is accurate: (I realize there's a mix of disciplines here)

"Evolution is not a closed system (Locally, i.e., on Earth) because natural selection is the force that acts upon evolution. That makes it an Open System.

The universe was thought of as a closed system as far as we knew—no one knows what might be outside the universe as we understand it, so we can’t gauge whether or not energy or matter is being exchanged over that hypothetical boundary. In the last few years, it is more and more commonly thought of as an open system. Still others insist it’s neither: (the Universe) is neither an open system nor a closed system. An open system has permeable boundaries while a closed system has impermeable (or partially permeable) boundaries. Space does not have boundaries and thus neither apply.

Either way, all that’s needed for evolution is the exchange of energy from the sun, which acts as a transferant1 of heat."

1 okay, this is my own neologism. It’s like "complainant"—a person who makes a complaint. So Transferant is something that transfers.

Science news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I would consider that statement to be accurate. A closed system is defined based on things that cross the boundary of the system, and natural selection doesn't really have to do at all with any energy or matter crossing system boundaries. The reason the Earth is not a closed system is because the Earth has significant energy transfer both in and out (via radiation), as you alluded to in your final statement, not because of anything with natural selection.

1. What is the difference between open and closed thermodynamic systems?

Open thermodynamic systems are those that exchange both energy and matter with their surroundings, while closed systems only exchange energy. This means that open systems can gain or lose mass, while closed systems cannot.

2. How can the second law of thermodynamics be used to prove the open and closed nature of a system?

The second law of thermodynamics states that entropy, or disorder, always increases in a closed system. This means that if a system is open, there will be exchanges of matter and energy that can lead to changes in entropy, while in a closed system, entropy will remain constant. Thus, by observing changes in entropy, we can determine whether a system is open or closed.

3. What is an example of an open thermodynamic system in nature?

An example of an open thermodynamic system in nature is the Earth's atmosphere. The atmosphere exchanges both energy (in the form of heat) and matter (in the form of gases) with its surroundings. This is evident in weather patterns, as energy and matter are constantly being exchanged between different parts of the atmosphere.

4. Can a system be both open and closed at the same time?

No, a system cannot be both open and closed at the same time. It is either one or the other, depending on whether it can exchange both energy and matter or just energy with its surroundings. However, a system can be considered as a combination of open and closed subsystems, where some parts exchange matter while others do not.

5. How do scientists use thermodynamic proofing to study and understand natural processes?

Scientists use thermodynamic proofing to analyze and predict the behavior of natural systems, such as chemical reactions, weather patterns, and biological processes. By understanding whether a system is open or closed, they can make accurate predictions about the exchanges of energy and matter within the system, and how these exchanges will affect the overall behavior of the system. This allows scientists to gain a deeper understanding of the natural processes that occur around us.