Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open-heart surgery

1. Feb 2, 2006 #1

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Open-heart surgery.

I don’t recommend it for everyone…but if you have, as I had, several almost totally occluded cardiac arteries and a poorly functioning aortic valve, it’s worth considering.

I had the surgery on Jan. 2, 2006 wherein 3 arteries were bypassed and my aortic valve was replaced with a valve from a cow or a `bovine’ valve as the surgeon calls it. The bovine valve comes with a lifetime warranty. I think having a warranty is good but I have some confusion as to how I report a failure. At the surgeon’s discretion, I could have had a pig’s valve (porcine) or a mechanical valve (ping-pong ball in a bird cage).

I’m one of the lucky people who have had this surgery as I have never had a heart attack and my heart pumps very strongly. The surgery took less than three hours without any complications at all. I was kept under anesthesia for an entire day and was walking several hours after reviving. I left the hospital on Jan. 7th.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2006 #2
    Wow, that's an amazingly serious procedure! Glad you're up and posting.

What were the symptoms that lead you to the doctor in the first place?

4. Feb 2, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! Glad you're back up and around (or at least up and posting). How's the recovery going? I hope you're up and about and fully recovered as quickly as possible. :smile:

5. Feb 3, 2006 #4

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Thanks guys

I had mild symptoms, it seemed a Boa constrictor was squeezing my chest after I did moderate exercise. I never go to the doctor and I hid my symptoms from my family but was caught grimacing by my eldest son after carrying a heavy Christmas present into his home. The next day my kids forced me, kicking and screaming, into the emergency room.

I was a heavy smoker so I thought I had emphysema …oddly it turns out that my lungs aren’t too bad.

6. Feb 3, 2006 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yay! Geniere, I am so glad to hear about your remarkable recovery. Does this make you a cow-borg? Don't forget to fill out and send in that warranty card!

7. Feb 3, 2006 #6
    Yeah, that sounds bad. Glad you got it taken care of. I think that's the same thing David Letterman had a couple years back.

8. Feb 3, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9. Feb 3, 2006 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Sympathies, GENIERE. Have you quit smoking?

10. Feb 3, 2006 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

WOW! You are very fortunate your son noticed!

Welcome back and congratulations on your recovery! I wondered to where you had disappeared.

Take it easy :cool: , keep getting stronger, and live much longer!

11. Feb 3, 2006 #10
    I'm happy to hear, that your kicking and screaming did no good! And glad to hear you've got a second chance at living to a ripe old age.

12. Feb 3, 2006 #11

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I'm hoping by the time I get to that stage of life, they'll have mechanical hearts that are self-fixing. Maybe that's a bad idea, though. Then I'll just keep living and living even though the rest of my body is wrinkled and broken and I'll hardly be able to do anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?