Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open set (equivalent definitions?)

1. Jan 2, 2014 #1
    I've seen open sets ##S## of a bigger set ##X## being defined as

1) for every ##x\in S## one can find an open disk ##D(x,\epsilon)## centered at ##x## of radius ##\epsilon## such that ##D## is entirely contained in ##S##. Where

$$D(x,\epsilon)= \left\{y \in X: d(x,y) < \epsilon\right\}$$
    and ##d## is a metric.

2) An open set is a set that can be written as a union of open disks.

Are these two definitions equivalent in general? Or does it require ##X## to be Hausdorff. If they are in general equivalent, can you outline a proof?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2014 #2
    I found a proof here:
    http://people.hofstra.edu/stefan_waner/diff_geom/openballs.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jan 2, 2014 #3
    The two definitions are equivalent if the topological space in question is metrizable.

I recommend proving for yourself that every metric space satisfies the Hausdorff axiom.

5. Jan 4, 2014 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

More generally, the open subsets of a topological space ##X ## are , or can be, any collection of subsets of ## X## that are closed under unions and closed under finite intersection, and the collection includes the whole space ## X## and the empty set. You then have a sub -collection of the collection of open sets that is called a basis, so that for every element ##x ## is an open set ## U## , there is a basis element ##B## with ## x ## contained in ## B ##, and ## B \subset U ##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook