1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Open sets, countable unions of open rectangles

1. Oct 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So here is a "proof" from my measre theory class that I don't really understand. Be nice with me, this is the first time I am learning to "prove" things.
    Show that a connected open set Ω ([itex]\mathbb{R}^d[/itex], I suppose) is a countable union of open, disjoint rectangles if and only if Ω is itself a rectangle.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Taught in class:
    An open set Ω is connected if and only if it is impossble to write Ω = V [itex]\bigcup[/itex]U where U and V are open, non-empty and disjoint. Thus if we can write Ω = [itex]\bigcup^{\infty}_{k=1} R_k[/itex] where [itex]R_k[/itex] are open disjoint rectangles of which at least two are non-empty (lets say [itex]R_1[/itex] and [itex]R_2[/itex] ) we can then write Ω = [itex]R_1 \cup (\bigcup^{\infty}_{k=2} R_k) [/itex] and therefore Ω is not connected.
    There is also another question; Show that an open disc in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] is not a countable union of open disjoint rectangles. To show this, the professor said that the previous result apllies since a disc is connected.

I don't understand:
    Why does this prove the proposition?, Is the assumption that we can write Ω = [itex]\bigcup^{\infty}_{k=1} R_k[/itex] where [itex]R_k[/itex] are open disjoint rectangles of which at least two are non-empty, equvalent with saying that Ω is a rectangle? If it is, have we not then assumed that Ω is a rectangle and then shown that a rectangle is not connected?
    :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, if Ω is a rectangle, then we can write it as a "union of disjoint open rectangles" by taking the set of such rectangles to include only Ω itself.

To show the other way, that if Ω can be written as a "union of disjoint open rectangles then it is a rectangle", use proof by contradiction- if Ω is not a rectangle, then such a union cannot consist of a single rectangle. But the "lemma" you give shows that the union of two or more disjoint open rectangles is not connected, so cannot be a rectangle as all rectangles are connected. That gives a contradiction, proving the theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook