Operator matrix elements, opposite-parity functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the operator H=f(r)γ, where γ=\bigl(\begin{smallmatrix} 0 & I\\ I& 0 \end{smallmatrix}\bigr), and f(r) is an even function. The goal is to show that the matrix element <\psi_{a}|H|\psi_{b}> is non-vanishing only if ψ_a and ψ_b are of opposite parity. The attempt at a solution explores different approaches, but the conclusion is still unclear. The question is whether H is an even or odd parity operator.
vst98

Homework Statement

For operator
H=f(r)γ , where γ=[itex]\bigl(\begin{smallmatrix}
0 & I\\
I& 0
\end{smallmatrix}\bigr)[/itex] , f(r) some even function.

Show that matrix element of this operator

[itex]<\psi_{a}|H|\psi_{b}>[/itex]

is non-vanishing only if ψ_a and ψ_b functions are of the opposite parity
(for example 2s and 2p1/2 functions)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can write H as

H = I H I = Ʃ H[itex]_{nm}[/itex]|psi_n><psi_m|

so the nm matrix element of H is then given as

H[itex]_{nm}[/itex] = <psi_a|H|psi_b> = <psi_a|I H I|psi_b> =<psi_a|ƩH[itex]_{nm}[/itex]|psi_n><psi_m||psi_b>

But I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

Maybe I should take a different approach. For example first to prove that operator
H is an odd parity operator , then <psi_a|H|psi_b> is non-vanishing only if
psi_a and psi_b are of the opposite parity , right ?
But H is even parity operator since f(r) is even, that is
f(-r)γ=f(r)γ , so I'm stuck again.

Can someone please clarify things form me here, how to evaluate matrix elements,
or is my conclusion that H is even wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
A simple answer like yes or no, on my conclusion that H is even would be
appreciated.
Anyone ?

1. What are operator matrix elements?

Operator matrix elements are mathematical quantities that represent the action of an operator on a particular state or function. They are used in quantum mechanics to calculate the expectation value of an operator in a given state.

2. How are operator matrix elements calculated?

Operator matrix elements are calculated by taking the inner product of the operator and the state or function in question. This involves integrating the product of the complex conjugate of the operator and the state over the relevant space.

3. What are opposite-parity functions?

Opposite-parity functions are mathematical functions that have a different parity (odd or even) than the potential or system in which they are being studied. In quantum mechanics, parity is a measure of symmetry or antisymmetry under reflection, and opposite-parity functions can arise in certain systems due to symmetry considerations.

4. Why are opposite-parity functions important in operator matrix elements?

Opposite-parity functions are important in operator matrix elements because they can provide valuable information about the system being studied. In certain cases, opposite-parity functions can lead to non-zero matrix elements for operators that would otherwise be zero, providing insight into the system's behavior and properties.

5. How are opposite-parity functions used in quantum mechanics?

Opposite-parity functions are used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior and properties of systems with complex potentials or symmetries. They can also be used to investigate the effects of symmetry breaking in a system, which can have important implications for understanding phenomena such as phase transitions or spontaneous symmetry breaking.