1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opposing Moments on Levered Beam

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the force F1 to bend the beam AB to a radius of 7.5m. Assume the beam is a steel tube 200mm OD with wall thickness 20mm. The arm's AC and BD can be assumed rigid.

The force F1 acts on pivots at C and D and is always in the x direction.

2. Relevant equations

I = pi (do4 - di4) / 64

3. The attempt at a solution

My first thought was to assume the beam was fixed at one end and then work out the deflection required to achieve a a radius of 7.5m. From this I substituted into the deflection formula to work out a point load need on the end of the cantilevered beam to produce the deflection.

I think i should be calculating the moment at point C and D but I'm struggling a bit, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Why not just use

M/I = σ/y = E/R

E is given for the material and you know R. Just get M.

4. Mar 22, 2012 #3
    Thanks rock.freak667.

i have since found this formula and came out with an answer of 1.25 x 10^6 N/m for the moment required.

this is using a value of 4.637 x 10^-5 for the second moment of area and a young's modulus of 200GPa for the steel.

As the arms at the end of the beam are 1.25m long then the required force at points C and D would be 9.9 x 10^5 N.

This seem a little high?

5. Mar 23, 2012 #4
    When I calculated the second moment of area I got 2.701*10^-5 m^4 based on this:
    [itex]I=\frac{\pi*\left[\left(200mm\right)^{4}-\left(200mm-20mm\right)^{4}\right]}{64}=2.701\times10^{-5}m^{4}[/itex]

This would change your results a little bit. Solving out the ratio before of M/I = E/R gives:

[itex]\frac{M}{I}=\frac{E}{R}[/itex]

[itex]M=\frac{EI}{R}[/itex]

[itex]M=1.441\times10^{5}N[/itex]

I would definitely double check what I did. 32,394 pounds of force seems reasonable to me though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook