Is a Number Prime if It Has No Factors Less Than Its Square Root?

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary: M1/2 is prime. In summary, if a number does not have factors less than or equal to M1/2, it is prime.
Char. Limit
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that if a given natural number M has no factors less than or equal to M1/2, then M is prime.

Homework Equations

None!

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was wondering, say I have two sets [itex]P[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex]. Furthermore, say that [itex]P \bigcup Q = \mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex]P \bigcap Q = \emptyset[/itex]. Now, can I assume that if all elements of set P obey a certain property, then any element of N that does not obey that property belongs to Q?

I ask because I'm trying to prove that if a natural number M has no factors less than or equal to M1/2 then M is prime. I'm hoping to use a proof that I almost have complete that if a natural number N is composite, then N has a factor less than or equal to N1/2, but I don't know if the property can transfer this way. Help?

EDIT: Also, my proof for the latter statement, if it helps:

Assume that N is composite and that it has no factors less than or equal to N1/2. Now, since N is composite, it has a factor A, which must be greater than N1/2 for the assumption to hold. Therefore, A>N1/2. Now, by inverting the two sides of the equation, we can see that A-1<N-1/2. Multiplying both sides by N, we get that N/A < N1/2. However, as A is a factor of N, N/A must be an integer B that is less than or equal to N1/2. Therefore, N = A*B, and B is a factor of N. But B is less than N1/2, which contradicts the original assumption. Therefore, if N is composite, N has a factor less than or equal to N1/2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Char. Limit said:
So I was wondering, say I have two sets [itex]P[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex]. Furthermore, say that [itex]P \bigcup Q = \mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex]P \bigcap Q = \emptyset[/itex]. Now, can I assume that if all elements of set P obey a certain property, then any element of N that does not obey that property belongs to Q?

Yes. P and Q are mutually exclusive and their union is N (and they're each a subset of N). It is given that every member of P has a certain property. Now, a member of N does not have this property. This member must either be in P or Q. Since every member of P has this property, you must conclude that the member is in Q.

Char. Limit said:
Assume that N is composite and that it has no factors less than or equal to N1/2. Now, since N is composite, it has a factor A, which must be greater than N1/2 for the assumption to hold. Therefore, A>N1/2. Now, by inverting the two sides of the equation, we can see that A-1<N-1/2. Multiplying both sides by N, we get that N/A < N1/2. However, as A is a factor of N, N/A must be an integer B that is less than or equal to N1/2. Therefore, N = A*B, and B is a factor of N. But B is less than N1/2, which contradicts the original assumption. Therefore, if N is composite, N has a factor less than or equal to N1/2

This should work. Another possibility is the following:

Assume that N is composite and that it has no factors less than or equal to N1/2. So N = xy, where x > N1/2 and y > N1/2. So:

xy > N1/2N1/2 = N, so N > N. -><-

Yes. I suppose you're trying to show that a number is either composite or prime, but I don't think you need to prove it--it's basic enough that you can take it as an axiom.

I ask because I'm trying to prove that if a natural number M has no factors less than or equal to M1/2 then M is prime. I'm hoping to use a proof that I almost have complete that if a natural number N is composite, then N has a factor less than or equal to N1/2, but I don't know if the property can transfer this way. Help?

Do you have to use set theory? I would just say that M is either prime or composite. We know it can't be composite because that would violate the theorem you just proved, so it must be prime.

Excellent! Also, great proof there, GB7... I hadn't even considered that.

So using the theorem I proved in post 1, I can just say that any number N without a factor less than or equal to N1/2 is prime? Thanks!

Char. Limit said:
Excellent! Also, great proof there, GB7... I hadn't even considered that.

So using the theorem I proved in post 1, I can just say that any number N without a factor less than or equal to N1/2 is prime? Thanks!

Correct.

What are "Opposite Sets"?

Opposite sets refer to two elements or objects that are diametrically opposed to each other in terms of characteristics or properties. These sets are also known as antonyms, as one is the direct opposite of the other.

How are "Opposite Sets" used in science?

In science, opposite sets are often used to describe the relationship between two variables. For example, hot and cold, light and dark, or acidic and basic. They are also used in classification systems, such as the classification of living organisms into different kingdoms based on their characteristics.

Can "Opposite Sets" exist in the same system?

Yes, opposite sets can exist in the same system. In fact, the existence of one set can define the other. For example, the presence of light defines the absence of dark, and vice versa.

Are "Opposite Sets" always mutually exclusive?

No, opposite sets are not always mutually exclusive. In some cases, there may be a range of values or characteristics between the two sets. For example, there are shades of gray between black and white, and there are substances that are neither acidic nor basic.

How do "Opposite Sets" contribute to scientific understanding?

Opposite sets help scientists to better understand and describe the world around us. By identifying and studying opposite sets, we can gain a deeper understanding of the relationships between different variables and how they affect each other. This can lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields of science.