Opposite spin of entangled photons

In summary, entangled photons have opposite spin due to conservation of angular momentum. This can be observed through the use of polarized lenses, with Type I pairs having identical polarizations and Type II pairs having crossed polarizations.
thenewmans
Quick question: Do entangled photons have opposite spin? If so, how do we know? I mean I know that they should because of conservation of angular momentum. But Cos(0)^2 = Cos(180)^2. So it looks like they’re the same. Or am I missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
thenewmans said:
Quick question: Do entangled photons have opposite spin? If so, how do we know? I mean I know that they should because of conservation of angular momentum. But Cos(0)^2 = Cos(180)^2. So it looks like they’re the same. Or am I missing something.

A couple of points: Type I pairs are same polarization, Type II are orthogonal (crossed). Crossed means they are perpendicular, so they are 90 degrees apart. (You were thinking 180 degrees.)

OK so what I think you're saying is that 2 entangled photons are offset by 90 degrees so that if one makes it through a polarized lens then you can be sure the other won't. (Type II?) Is that right?

I don't know the types but I do know that photons are bosons with spin 1. So I guess you mean that they're Type II.

thenewmans said:
So I guess you mean that they're Type II.

Type I and Type II are terms for the types of PDC crystal arrangements that are most often used for creating entangled photons. With a Type I arrangement (which is actually 2 crystal arranged perpendicularly), you get identical polarizations. With Type II, you get crossed (opposite) polarizations.

DrChinese said:
Type I and Type II are terms for the types of PDC crystal arrangements that are most often used for creating entangled photons. With a Type I arrangement (which is actually 2 crystal arranged perpendicularly), you get identical polarizations. With Type II, you get crossed (opposite) polarizations.

Very cool! Thank you.

1. What is the concept of opposite spin in entangled photons?

The concept of opposite spin in entangled photons refers to the phenomenon where two particles, in this case photons, are intrinsically linked or entangled in a way that their spin states are always opposite to each other. This means that if one photon has a spin up, the other photon will have a spin down, and vice versa.

2. How are entangled photons created with opposite spin?

Entangled photons with opposite spin can be created through a process called spontaneous parametric down-conversion. This involves passing a high-energy photon through a non-linear crystal, which splits the photon into two entangled photons with opposite spin.

3. What is the significance of opposite spin in entangled photons?

The significance of opposite spin in entangled photons lies in its potential applications in quantum communication and computing. As the spin states of entangled photons are always correlated, any change in one photon's spin will instantly affect the other, allowing for secure and instantaneous communication over long distances.

4. Can entangled photons with opposite spin be used for practical purposes?

Yes, entangled photons with opposite spin have already been used to demonstrate quantum teleportation and secure communication protocols. They also have potential applications in quantum computing, where their correlated spin states can be used for encoding and manipulating quantum bits or qubits.

5. Is there any evidence for the existence of opposite spin in entangled photons?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments that have demonstrated the existence of opposite spin in entangled photons. These experiments have shown that entangled photons always have opposite spin states, regardless of the distance between them, further confirming the concept of quantum entanglement.