Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opposite spin of entangled photons

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    Quick question: Do entangled photons have opposite spin? If so, how do we know? I mean I know that they should because of conservation of angular momentum. But Cos(0)^2 = Cos(180)^2. So it looks like they’re the same. Or am I missing something.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A couple of points: Type I pairs are same polarization, Type II are orthogonal (crossed). Crossed means they are perpendicular, so they are 90 degrees apart. (You were thinking 180 degrees.)

4. Oct 19, 2011 #3
    OK so what I think you're saying is that 2 entangled photons are offset by 90 degrees so that if one makes it through a polarized lens then you can be sure the other won't. (Type II?) Is that right?

I don't know the types but I do know that photons are bosons with spin 1. So I guess you mean that they're Type II.

5. Oct 19, 2011 #4

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Type I and Type II are terms for the types of PDC crystal arrangements that are most often used for creating entangled photons. With a Type I arrangement (which is actually 2 crystal arranged perpendicularly), you get identical polarizations. With Type II, you get crossed (opposite) polarizations.

6. Oct 20, 2011 #5
    Very cool! Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook