1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optic microscopes. New illumination technic

Tags:
  1. Jul 19, 2014 #1
    Dear friends

I have been working on a new way of illuminating microscope specimens. Cannot disclose the innings of it since all is under development. Nevertheless I attach photo since I think you will find it interesting. That is the mouth of a honey Bee, photo compares standard bright-field with my "special" technic. Magnification is x100. Hope you find it interesting.

Be well

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

While it is indeed interesting if true, I fail to see the point of sharing on a forum if you don't give us any details to discuss.

4. Jul 19, 2014 #3
    You are correct. I am being egoistic since I cannot publish yet. And the purpose of the post is to know if you people find it interesting. Just out of curiosity.
    I will submit full article once I end development of device.

I had qualms before posting for the very reason you mention. Yet I did it.

Yours
    Ramon Pujals

5. Jul 21, 2014 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It is unclear what the difference between the two methods is, since the field of view for the two images is apparently different. What is the claimed advantage of your technique in comparison to brightfield illumination?

6. Jul 22, 2014 #5
    Hi Andy

Thanks for commenting.
    Claimed advantage? Well, I don't know yet. But this is what I can say:
    Although the field of view is different; it is the same specimen. From Physics / light / Optics / Microscopy point of view we can see the following:

- At bright-field we have mainly refracted light. i.e. specimen refracts impinging light
    - At Special we have mainly, if not only, reflected light. i.e. specimen reflects impinging light.

I think in microscopy this is paramount.

Be well

7. Jul 22, 2014 #6

Drakkith

8. Jul 22, 2014 #7
    Dark field? Similar but not same.

Hi Drakkith

That is what the mathematic model predicted. A dark field. However there are some differences from standard dark field. First, the background should be dark, yet , it is not. Check out dark field photos.

Be well

9. Jul 22, 2014 #8

Drakkith

Yes, that is why I said it was similar to dark field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook