Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical Gian vs Electrical Gain

1. Jun 12, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    I was wondering what the trade-offs were in having an optical gain (say with EDFA) compared to electrical gain (say with a PIN and transimpedance amplifier) of an optical signal.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2
    Is it possible to turn a very coherent signal into one much less

Hi,

I am curious to know if there any passive (or simple active) methods to convert a very coherent signal into an incoherent one? I suppose I would need to find a way to chirp the signal and a non-linear medium might be one method. Any ideas?

Thanks

narra

4. Jun 14, 2013 #3

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

For coherent optical signals, a component called a diffuser is normally used to reduce the coherence.

Regarding your first post, optical gain has a much higher bandwidth than electrical gain.

Claude.

5. Jun 17, 2013 #4
    Hi Sorry, I somehow posted a question within another post. Thanks for your reply on both though. I have a few more things to ask based on your answers if you don't mind.

Post 1: When you say optical gain is much higher bandwidth, do you mean in terms of gain available across and optical bandwidth or temporally?

Post 2: Is a diffuser more to break the spatial coherence? If so, how does this impart temporal coherence?

Or

perhaps to stimulate higher order modes; forming "Speckle"?

Regards,

narra

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook