Collimation of a Gaussian beam

Mubeen
Hi, i would like to design a optics in zemax for collimation of guassian beam. The collimation is to be done for the beam for off axis rays. Attached the foto of what i would like to achieve.

Attachments

• IMG_3660 (2).jpg
    IMG_3660 (2).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 11
Science news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome:

Mubeen said:
what i would like to achieve.
Not clear to me how you specify the incoming beam. A laser beam ? 'Gaussian' ?

What do you mean with 'beamsplitter'? It it splitting the beam in two beams ?

##\ ##

hey. The incoming beam is a laser beam having guassian intensity distribution. Thats why i have mentioned guassian beam, sorry for the confusion. Beam splitter will split the beam in to two beams of equal intensities.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to apologize.
I only know cube and plate type beamsplitters, so I wonder how this one works

1709057646098.png

On a screen to the right, would you get two Gaussian dots ? Or an evenly illuminated disk ?

PS the guy's name is Gauss, not Guass :smile:

##\ ##

i want the beam to be have the collimated (Parallel as well as without divergence) for atleast 500 mm after the lens. i have tried the setup in zemax but the beam after certain distance is getting focused and then getting diverged as expected for gaussian beam. on the detector will get a two beam spots whose spot size should be almost same as the incoming beam to beam splitter.

Welcome to PF.

Mubeen said:
i would like to design a optics in zemax for collimation of guassian beam.
Laser beams are already pretty "collimated". In what way are you trying to improve the low divergence of the beam(s)?

Also, can you please post a link to the datasheet for the beamsplitter you are using? Thanks.

Yes laser beams are collimated. What i would like to achieve is as shown in figure. After the lens i should get a collimated beam as well. I dont have a data sheet for beam splitter. Beam splitter is a DOE (Diffractive optical element) which will split the incoming beam into two beam of equal intensities with an angle 5 degree to normal of surface.

The region where a laser beam is almost parallel is known as the Rayleigh range and it depends on the wavelength a beam "radius" w0. We need that data to help you.

1. What is collimation of a Gaussian beam?

Collimation of a Gaussian beam refers to the process of making a Gaussian beam parallel or nearly parallel. A Gaussian beam is a type of laser beam that has a smooth bell-shaped intensity profile, and collimation is important for applications where a focused or diverging beam is not desired.

2. Why is collimation important for Gaussian beams?

Collimation is important for Gaussian beams because it allows the beam to travel over long distances without spreading out or diverging. This is crucial for applications such as laser communication, where a focused or diverging beam would result in a loss of signal strength.

3. How is collimation achieved for Gaussian beams?

Collimation of a Gaussian beam can be achieved through the use of lenses, mirrors, or other optical elements that can manipulate the beam's direction and shape. The most common method is using a lens to focus the beam to a point, and then using another lens to collimate the beam from that point.

4. What factors affect the collimation of a Gaussian beam?

There are several factors that can affect the collimation of a Gaussian beam, including the quality of the laser source, the type and quality of optical elements used, and any environmental factors such as temperature or air turbulence. The beam's wavelength and power can also play a role in its collimation.

5. Can a Gaussian beam be perfectly collimated?

No, it is not possible to achieve perfect collimation of a Gaussian beam due to diffraction effects. However, with proper optical design and high-quality components, a Gaussian beam can be collimated to a very small divergence angle, making it appear nearly parallel over long distances.