Optical/Observational Perspective Question

In summary, Dave wanted to know if Google Earth could be used to predict the position of something based on alignment. NWH said that it could approximate the position and that lenses could cause strange effects.
NWH
So I have a couple of questions. Firstly, apologies if these questions are out of place, I figured this could have equally been asked on a photography board, but it involves light and position and stuff like that, so I thought it would be okay.

Say for example we have two objects, object A and object B, we also have an observer who's standing in area C, some distance away from the objects. One object is slightly behind and away from the other and from the perspective of the observer in area C, the two edges of each object appear to touch. Would it be accurate to assume, that the alignment of the edges of these objects is only visible when the observer is standing in area C? Could we then, draw the alignment of these two objects in Google Earth with the line generator and predict the line of sight and even cross over the position of area C, where the observer was standing? On top of that, would there be any strange optical effects with cameras that might cause the illusion of standing in area C, even though they're in a different position?

I hope someone doesn't mind answering these questions, I know they're a little out of place (kind of). I'm just interested to know if you can accurately (to some degree) make predictions of position in Google Earth, based on objects and their estimated alignment around you. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, NWH.
I don't know much about Google Earth. Parallax, however, is restricted to a particular viewing angle and distance. It can't be faked from somewhere else without photo touch-up or the use of some screwy lenses.

Thanks for the quick reply! As I thought, I figured it would have been definitive with a human as, well, I see it for my self, but I questioned from a camera's perspective. Interesting to know it can't be faked without touching it up. I know lenses can cause strange effects, like apparent distance and even bending of objects, so it was hard to make that judgement. Any idea if lenses can change apparent position?

One thing to realize about Google Earth is that the maps are stitched together from separate photos taken at possibly widely different angles. You can find areas where two buildings next to each other are leaning in completely opposite directions - like Escher's staircase! You cannot really count on two things at any distance on a map to be accurately inline.

It could give a good aproximation though, right? I don't mean pin point perfect, just accurate enough to predict the general line of sight over an acceptably broad area?

NWH said:
It could give a good aproximation though, right? I don't mean pin point perfect, just accurate enough to predict the general line of sight over an acceptably broad area?
Certainly, yeah. I've cross-referenced a bunch of buildings in a photo that were 40 miles away across the lake.

Why don't you post your pix and let us analyze the scenario? We eat that stuff up.

That would depend upon your definitions of both 'general' and 'acceptable'. Since this is a science forum, we tend toward minimal tolerance for error. The context is important. It's a lot different to determine whether someone could witness something from a particular spot, or whether a sniper bullet was fired from a particular spot. Can you give us a bit more info about your purpose?

edit: Oops! Didn't mean to ignore you, Dave. You sneaked in whilst I was composing.

1. What is optical/observational perspective?

Optical/observational perspective is the way in which an object or scene is perceived by the human eye. It is influenced by factors such as distance, lighting, and angles, and can vary from person to person.

2. How does optical/observational perspective affect scientific observations?

Optical/observational perspective can impact the accuracy and interpretation of scientific observations. For example, objects that appear to be the same size may actually have different dimensions depending on their distance from the observer.

3. What techniques can be used to minimize the impact of optical/observational perspective in scientific studies?

Scientists can use techniques such as calibrating instruments, taking multiple measurements from different angles, and using comparative scales to minimize the effects of optical/observational perspective in their studies.

4. Can optical/observational perspective be controlled or eliminated completely?

While techniques can be used to minimize its impact, optical/observational perspective cannot be completely eliminated. It is a natural aspect of human perception and must be taken into consideration when conducting scientific research.

5. How does optical/observational perspective differ from optical illusions?

Optical illusions are created to intentionally deceive the viewer's perception, while optical/observational perspective is a natural and often unavoidable aspect of how we see the world. However, both can impact our perception and understanding of objects and scenes.