1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Optical Tweezers and 3D Printing

1. Jul 4, 2017 #1
    I am trying to assemble an optical tweezers setup and was thinking if it is realistic to assemble an optical tweezers setup using 3D printed parts? Also can DMD (Digital Micromirror Device) be used instead of SLM to manipulate the beam and generate multiple traps?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2017 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm sure some of the parts can be printed, but for example, the microscope objective cannot. A DMD should work as well as an SLM, but since the DMD is not a phase device, I suspect the ability to form and control multiple traps will be limited compared to an SLM.

4. Jul 6, 2017 #3
    Thank you for your reply. I wanted to reassure myself that there is no reason that it wouldn't work at all if I use DMD instead of SLM and if I print optomechanical parts on 3D printer.
    Yeah, I meant that I am replacing majority of optomechanical parts. I still use commercial lenses and mirrors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted