Optical Tweezers and 3D Printing

CyrusTheAchaemenid

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am trying to assemble an optical tweezers setup and was thinking if it is realistic to assemble an optical tweezers setup using 3D printed parts? Also can DMD (Digital Micromirror Device) be used instead of SLM to manipulate the beam and generate multiple traps?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I am trying to assemble an optical tweezers setup and was thinking if it is realistic to assemble an optical tweezers setup using 3D printed parts? Also can DMD (Digital Micromirror Device) be used instead of SLM to manipulate the beam and generate multiple traps?
I'm sure some of the parts can be printed, but for example, the microscope objective cannot. A DMD should work as well as an SLM, but since the DMD is not a phase device, I suspect the ability to form and control multiple traps will be limited compared to an SLM.

CyrusTheAchaemenid
I'm sure some of the parts can be printed, but for example, the microscope objective cannot. A DMD should work as well as an SLM, but since the DMD is not a phase device, I suspect the ability to form and control multiple traps will be limited compared to an SLM.
Thank you for your reply. I wanted to reassure myself that there is no reason that it wouldn't work at all if I use DMD instead of SLM and if I print optomechanical parts on 3D printer.
Yeah, I meant that I am replacing majority of optomechanical parts. I still use commercial lenses and mirrors.