Optical Tweezers: Preparing Samples for RBC Trapping

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with their project on trapping RBCs using optical tweezers. They mention making a mistake in preparing the sample and ask for an appropriate method. Another person suggests doing a Google search on the topic and provides a link to an article on the subject. The original person confirms that they have worked with microspheres and diluted blood but are having trouble with the RBCs not flipping. They also mention trying to change the power supply.
henil
I am currently working on project for trapping RBC's using optical tweezers but i think i am making a mistake in preparing the sample. Can anyone provide an appropriate sample preparing method ?

Biology news on Phys.org
henil said:
I am currently working on project for trapping RBC's using optical tweezers but i think i am making a mistake in preparing the sample. Can anyone provide an appropriate sample preparing method ?
I did a Google search on optical tweezers for trapping red blood cells, and got lots of good hits. This was the first article on the list:

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v4/n4/full/ncomms2786.html

Maybe try doing that search, to see if you find what you need. :smile:

henil said:

Does your trap work on microspheres? Do you have a dilute suspension of RBCs?

Andy Resnick said:
Does your trap work on microspheres? Do you have a dilute suspension of RBCs?
yes sir i do have worked on microspheres and i do have diluted blood with 1/2ml PBS, 1/2ml distilled DI water and a drop of blood. also the RBCs are not flipping .
i have tried changing the power supplied

1. What are optical tweezers?

Optical tweezers are a scientific tool that uses a highly focused laser beam to trap and manipulate microscopic objects, such as cells and particles, in a non-invasive way.

2. How do optical tweezers prepare samples for RBC trapping?

Optical tweezers use a laser beam to create a gradient force that can trap and hold red blood cells (RBCs) in a specific location. This allows researchers to study the properties and behavior of RBCs under different conditions.

3. What are the benefits of using optical tweezers for RBC trapping?

Optical tweezers offer several advantages for preparing samples for RBC trapping. They are non-invasive, meaning they do not damage the cells or alter their natural behavior. They also provide precise control and manipulation of single cells, allowing for detailed analysis and measurements.

4. What types of experiments can be performed with optical tweezers on RBCs?

Optical tweezers can be used to study various properties of RBCs, such as their mechanical properties, membrane elasticity, and response to external stimuli. They can also be used to investigate cell-cell interactions and the effects of drugs or disease on RBCs.

5. Are there any limitations to using optical tweezers for RBC trapping?

One limitation of optical tweezers for RBC trapping is the need for a specialized setup, including a high-power laser and precise positioning equipment. Additionally, some RBC properties, such as their deformability, may be affected by the presence of the laser beam. Careful experimental design and control are necessary to minimize these effects.