Optics, involving index of refraction

In summary: If the interface is oriented along the x-axis (the surface of the water is not parallel to the x-axis) then the widest rays this fish will see will be coming in at theta = -90 and positive 90 degrees. These rays will also bend following snell's law at the surface of the water and intersect at a specific point. The fish needs to be at that point.
thezac11

Homework Statement

At what distance below the surface of a lake will a fish have a 180 degree field view above the water surface (if the fish is looking up toward the surface of the lake) ?

-Assume the index of refraction for water to be 1.33 and that of air to be 1.00

Homework Equations

I'm not given any equations for this problem. I'm assuming it has something to do with Snell's Law: (n1)sin(i)=(n2)sin(r) , where n=index of refraction, i=angle of incidence, and r=angle of refraction

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue where to start this problem. I feel like I need more information. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Zac

Physics news on Phys.org
Start it with drawing a picture of the problem.

ehild

I have a drawing that shows the viewing area from a point under the water going towards the surface at an unknown angle, then the viewing area widening once it breaks the surface. But I don't understand how to find the depth at which the viewing area is 180 degrees once it breaks the surface.

I do not really understand the question. The fish sees everything above water in an angle of view twice the critical angle -no matter at what depth it is. You can calculate the angle from Snell's law. Only the diameter of the circle within everything above water can be seen would change with depth.

ehild

This is possibly a weird way to solve the problem, but here it is: I assuming what the problem means is at what distance will the fish see a panoramic 180 degree field of vision (I wasn't quite sure). If your interface is oriented along the y-axis (the surface of the water is parallel to the y-axis) then the widest rays this fish will see will be coming in at theta = 90 and negative 90 degrees. These rays will bend following snell's law at the surface of the water and intersect at a specific point. You're fish needs to be at that point.

1. What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material bends light as it passes through it. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

2. How does the index of refraction affect the behavior of light?

The index of refraction determines the angle at which light is bent when it passes through a material. It also affects the speed of light in the material, which can lead to phenomena such as refraction, dispersion, and total internal reflection.

3. What factors can influence the index of refraction of a material?

The index of refraction can be influenced by the density, temperature, and composition of a material. It can also vary for different wavelengths of light, leading to effects such as chromatic dispersion.

4. How is the index of refraction measured?

The index of refraction can be measured using various techniques such as refractometry, interferometry, and ellipsometry. These methods involve measuring the angle of refraction or the phase shift of light passing through a material.

5. What are some real-world applications of the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is used in a variety of fields, including optics, physics, and engineering. It is crucial in designing and understanding the behavior of lenses, prisms, and other optical devices. It is also used in the production of glass and other transparent materials, as well as in fields such as telecommunications and astronomy.