Optics problems - real vs, virtual / thin film

In summary: What about if n1<n2? What about if n1=n2? Use your answers to figure out which statements are true.
big_boi

Homework Statement

33. This experiment projects a red laser light beam of wavelength λ through a diffraction grating labeled 750 lines/mm onto a screen that is positioned a distance l from the diffraction grating. The diffraction grating has a distance d between adjacent lines. The distance between the central maximum and first order bright line is x.

In order for the bright lines produced on the screen to appear closer together, what change could be made in the above experiment?
a. Replace the red laser with a green laser.
b. Move the laser farther from the diffraction grating
c. Move the diffraction grating farther from the screen.
d. Replace the diffraction grating with one that is labeled 800 lines/mm.
e. Rotate the diffraction grating by a small angle within the same place

34. Which of the following could produce the largest real image of an object?
a. Convex mirror, f=-5 cm, with object 3 cm from center of mirror.
b. Concave lens, f=-5 cm, with object 3 cm from center of lens
c. Convex lens, f=5 cm, with object 3 cm from center of lens
d. Convex lens, f=10 cm, with object 12 cm from center of lens.
e. Concave mirror, f=15 cm, with object 10 cm from center of lens.

35. A thin film of oil on water causes us to seen a green reflection of light. Which of the following must be true?
i. The light source must be only green light.
ii. The oil must be of lower index of refraction than the water.
iii. Other colors present in the incident beam underwent destructive interference
a. i only
b. ii only
c. iii only
d. i and ii only
e. ii and iii only

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

33 is E? - all the others do not seem right
34 - i have no idea
35 - b or e - destructive interference?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not going to answer myself, since that will not be helpful, but maybe I can ask questions of you that can guide you in the right direction.

33) You need a better reason than the others do not seem right. What is the equation for orders of diffracted light?

34) What happens in the convex lens case when an object is a distance less than the focal length? How about for concave? How does a mirror instead of a lens change the image? Use these answers to guide your answer. Or do a quick drawing of all the situations.

35) It's all about the wavelength of the light reflected at the surface of the thin film. If n2<n1 what is the reflected wavelength?

1. What is the difference between real and virtual images in optics problems?

Real images are formed when light rays actually converge at a point, allowing an observer to see a clear and focused image. Virtual images, on the other hand, are formed when light rays only appear to converge at a point, and cannot be seen by an observer. They are often formed by using a combination of lenses or mirrors.

2. Why do thin films cause light to reflect and refract differently?

Thin films, such as soap bubbles or oil slicks, are made up of layers of different materials with varying refractive indices. When light passes through these layers, it is both reflected and refracted at each interface, resulting in a complex interference pattern that causes the thin film to appear colorful.

3. How do thin films create the colors we see in nature?

Thin films act as selective filters, reflecting certain wavelengths of light while allowing others to pass through. The reflected wavelengths interfere with each other, resulting in constructive and destructive interference patterns that produce the vibrant colors we see in nature, such as the rainbow colors on a soap bubble.

4. How can we use thin films to manipulate light?

Thin films can be used in a variety of optical devices, such as anti-reflective coatings on eyeglasses, polarizing filters in sunglasses, and interference filters in cameras and telescopes. They can also be used in technologies such as LCD screens and solar cells.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding real vs. virtual images and thin films?

Understanding the principles of real and virtual images and thin films is crucial in the design and development of various optical devices, as well as in industries such as photography, filmmaking, and microscopy. It is also important in fields such as medicine, where thin films are used in diagnostic tools like endoscopes and ultrasounds.