[optics] Those weird blue Christmas lights

In summary: It's an interesting article, thanks for pointing it out.In summary, I'm not sure why our eyes can't focus on blue Christmas lights, but according to the article, it may have something to do with the fact that blue light is diffracted more than other colors.
Envergure
Why can't our eyes focus on that one type of deep blue Christmas lights? It always appears fuzzy from a distance, even if another bulb right next to it appears in focus.

Science news on Phys.org
I can't say I've ever had that problem. So I don't think it's "our" eyes.

Envergure said:
Why can't our eyes focus on that one type of deep blue Christmas lights? It always appears fuzzy from a distance, even if another bulb right next to it appears in focus.

I've noticed the same effect with deep-blue (say 405 nm) laser light. Not sure why, I wonder if it has to do with the fact that only the blue cones get stimulated, and they only make up around 2% of the detectors in our eyes. There's some interesting information here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/rodcone.html

Apparently, the blue cones are usually defocused with respect to the red and green cones.

Andy, I took the time to read your link. Very informative!

I'm not sure if this is related, but many of the new LED lights, especially the blue ones, have a pronounced high frequency flicker to them. You can sense this if you dart your eyes around while looking at them.

Andy Resnick said:
I've noticed the same effect with deep-blue (say 405 nm) laser light. Not sure why, I wonder if it has to do with the fact that only the blue cones get stimulated, and they only make up around 2% of the detectors in our eyes. There's some interesting information here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/rodcone.html

Apparently, the blue cones are usually defocused with respect to the red and green cones.
I had noticed the same effect with 390 nm lasers. A faint violet, hazy blur appeared around the mirrors where the beam would hit. But as I would have to remove my uv-blocking glasses to notice this, even normal objects did not appear entirely sharp to me.

The hyperphysics article also mentions the higher refractive index for blue & violet wavelengths, which had always been my assumption for explaining the effect.

I'm obviously looking at the wrong type of light. I have honestly not experienced this.

Interesting articles though.

this explains why red text on a blue background makes my eyes "vibrate". they can't both be in focus at the same time.

I remember "cats eye" taillights on old cars, like in the 1930's, I think they were accessories, bought at auto stores. The normal red taillight lens had a small deep blue lens imbedded in it, and at night the effect was kinda strange, a sort of fuzzy blue haze mixed with the red, quite distracting. I vaguely remember hearing that they were illegal. Haven't thought of them in years...

Blue and violet light are diffracted the most by a lens, so it can end up being more out focus than other colors, espeicially if it's dark and more of the lenses in a person's eye is used to focus the lightl.

rcgldr said:
Blue and violet light are diffracted the most by a lens, so it can end up being more out focus than other colors

What exactly does it mean for a light to be "out of focus" by its own optical components? Focusing phenomena usually occur at the receiving end of the light path.

eg. there are LED lights that are designed for area illumination, so they have lenses that diffract their LED light to span a very broad angle. But that doesn't make the light look "out of focus".

DaveC426913 said:
What exactly does it mean for a light to be "out of focus" by its own optical components? Focusing phenomena usually occur at the receiving end of the light path.

I'm guessing that the deep blue light is selectively scattered by material in the eye.

1. What makes those Christmas lights appear blue?

The blue color in those Christmas lights is a result of the lights having a high intensity in the blue region of the visible light spectrum. This causes our eyes to perceive the lights as blue.

2. Can you explain the phenomenon of blue light scattering in these lights?

Blue light scattering occurs when the particles in the lights interact with the light waves, causing the blue wavelengths to be scattered in all directions. This gives the appearance of a blue glow from the lights.

3. Why are blue Christmas lights more popular than other colors?

One reason for the popularity of blue Christmas lights is that blue is associated with winter and the holiday season. Additionally, blue lights tend to stand out more against the darkness of night, making them more visually appealing.

4. How does the color of these lights affect their energy consumption?

The color of the lights does not have a significant effect on their energy consumption. The amount of energy used by the lights depends on the type and number of bulbs used, as well as the length of time they are turned on.

5. Are there any health concerns related to the blue light emitted by these Christmas lights?

There is no evidence to suggest that the blue light emitted by these lights poses any health concerns. However, it is important to limit exposure to bright lights in general, as they can cause eye strain and discomfort.