Optimal speed for deviation of a spinning sphere

In summary, the optimal speed for deviation of a spinning sphere is dependent on the angular velocity, radius, and density of the sphere. At a certain angular velocity, known as the critical velocity, the sphere will begin to deviate from its original path due to the Coriolis effect. This deviation increases with an increase in angular velocity and radius, but decreases with an increase in density. Thus, finding the optimal speed for deviation requires a balance between these factors. Additionally, the direction of deviation is determined by the direction of the spin and the orientation of the sphere's axis of rotation. Overall, understanding the relationship between these variables is crucial in determining the optimal speed for deviation of a spinning sphere.
blindnz
Hi,

I'm just trying to find out if there is a calculation to that relates deviation from a straight line to the forward velocity and the rotation of a circular object.
Essentially i have a small project that i get to prepare and work on and was thinking of trying to find the optimal bowling speed for a cricket spin bowler to get maxium drift.

I was planning on doing a small amount of expermination and calculation to verify results.

Any help or better ideas would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
blindnz said:
I'm just trying to find out if there is a calculation to that relates deviation from a straight line to the forward velocity and the rotation of a circular object.
Essentially i have a small project that i get to prepare and work on and was thinking of trying to find the optimal bowling speed for a cricket spin bowler to get maxium drift.

I was planning on doing a small amount of expermination and calculation to verify results.

Any help or better ideas would be much appreciated

Hi blindnz! :smile:

If you mean swing bowling (where the ball swings in the air as opposed to when it hits the ground), it's caused by turbulent flow, and would be almost impossible to calculate for something as small and imprecise as a cricket ball.

For some details, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_bowling#Physics_of_swing_bowling :smile:

I mean the art of a spin bowler in cricket one that imparts rotation on the ball which causes drift in the air and then also a turn when the ball grips the pitch(ground) but I'm mostly interested in the amount of drift i.e deviation from a straight line through the air due to the rotation of the ball

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_bowling

since this drift is created by the magnus effect? there must be some physical maximum drift that can be achieved i.e a particular combination of rotation imparted by the bowler and i understand magnus effect also has something to do with forward velocity.
So all things being equal i would like to find the physical maximum drift that a spin bowler could produce taking by optimising spin and forward velocity.

FAQ: Optimal speed for deviation of a spinning sphere

What is the optimal speed for deviation of a spinning sphere?

The optimal speed for deviation of a spinning sphere depends on various factors such as the size and weight of the sphere, the surface it is spinning on, and the force applied to it. It is not a fixed value and can vary in different scenarios.

How does the speed of the spinning sphere affect its deviation?

The speed of the spinning sphere directly affects its deviation. If the sphere is spinning at a higher speed, it will deviate more compared to when it is spinning at a lower speed. This is because higher speed means more force is applied to the sphere, causing it to deviate more.

Is there an optimal surface for a spinning sphere to deviate on?

Yes, the surface on which the sphere is spinning can greatly affect its deviation. A smooth and flat surface will allow the sphere to travel further compared to a rough or uneven surface. This is because the friction between the sphere and the surface can either aid or hinder its deviation.

Can the shape of the sphere impact its optimal deviation speed?

Yes, the shape of the sphere can impact its optimal deviation speed. A sphere with a more streamlined shape will experience less air resistance, allowing it to maintain its speed and deviation for longer periods. On the other hand, a sphere with a more irregular shape will experience more air resistance, causing it to slow down and deviate less.

Are there any real-life applications for studying the optimal speed for deviation of a spinning sphere?

Yes, there are several real-life applications for understanding the optimal speed for deviation of a spinning sphere. For example, this knowledge can be used in sports such as baseball or golf, where a spinning ball's deviation can greatly affect its trajectory. It can also be applied in industries such as aerodynamics and fluid dynamics for designing more efficient vehicles and machines.

Back