1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimisation - Critical Numbers for Complex Functions.

1. Mar 11, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone, I need a little bit of help with an optimization problem and finding the critical numbers. The question is a follows:

Question:
    Between 0°C and 30°C, the volume V ( in cubic centimeters) of 1 kg of water at a temperature T is given approximately by the formula:
    V = 999.87 − 0.06426T + 0.0085043T2 − 0.0000679T3

Find the temperature at which water has its maximum density. (Round your answer to four decimal places.)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have done the following steps:
    Re-write equation into scientific notation:
    V(t)=-6.79x10-5T3+8.5043x10-3T2-6.426x10-2T+999.87

Found Derivative using Power Rule:
    V'(t)=-2.037x10-4T2+1.70086x10-2T-6.426x10-2

I need to find critical points, where V'(t)=0 or V'(t)=und.
    There are no obvious factors and I need help to find the zero's of the derivative.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a quadratic equation. There is a formula to find the zeros without factoring. Remember?

4. Mar 11, 2015 #3
    Oh dear... of course!... I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thank you so much haha.

The minimum of the function was 3.966514624 degrees for anyone interested.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  5. Mar 11, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You were told to find the maximum, while you claim to have found the minimum.

Have you tested whether your point is a maximum or a minimum? Just setting ##V'(T) = 0## will not tell you this; you need to use a second-order test (involving the second derivative ##V''(T)##), or use some other types of tests.

Also: how do you know you should set the derivative to 0 at all? Perhaps the constraints ##0 \leq T \leq 30## mess things up? You need to check that as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted