Boltzmann statistics - finding the number of particles

In summary, the problem involves calculating the number of particles in a column of water, given the density and radius of the particles, height difference, and gravitational and buoyancy forces. The Boltzmann distribution formula may be used to determine the density as a function of height.
jianxu
Boltzmann statistics -- finding the number of particles

Homework Statement

A column of water contains fine spherical metal particles of radius 2 x10-8m, which are in thermal equilibrium at 25C. If there are 1000 particles per unit volume at a given height, how many particles would be found in the same volum 1 mm higher? The density of the metal is 2 x104 kg m-3. Hint: use gravitational force and buoyancy in water and compute change in potential energy

Homework Equations

Fnet= [tex]\rho[/tex]Vg - mg ([tex]\rho[/tex] is density, V is volume, g is gravity, m is mass)

F*d = -mg [tex]\Delta[/tex]h (h is height, d = height, F = Fnet

n(E) = g(E)fb(E) = A g(E)e-E/kT
n(E) = number of particles with energy E
g(E) = statistical weight of the state with energy E
A = normalization constant whose value depends of the system
k = Boltzmann constant
T = temperature
E = energy

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was just substitute Fnet= [tex]\rho[/tex]Vg - mg
into F*d = -mg [tex]\Delta[/tex]h which gives me the change in potential energy. I'm not sure what to do with the boltmann distribution formula after that or do I even need it? I'm just stuck and don't know where to go. Any help will be appreciated

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

jianxu said:

Homework Statement

A column of water contains fine spherical metal particles of radius 2 x10-8m, which are in thermal equilibrium at 25C. If there are 1000 particles per unit volume at a given height, how many particles would be found in the same volum 1 mm higher? The density of the metal is 2 x104 kg m-3. Hint: use gravitational force and buoyancy in water and compute change in potential energy

Homework Equations

Fnet= [tex]\rho[/tex]Vg - mg ([tex]\rho[/tex] is density, V is volume, g is gravity, m is mass)

F*d = -mg [tex]\Delta[/tex]h (h is height, d = height, F = Fnet

n(E) = g(E)fb(E) = A g(E)e-E/kT
n(E) = number of particles with energy E
g(E) = statistical weight of the state with energy E
A = normalization constant whose value depends of the system
k = Boltzmann constant
T = temperature
E = energy

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was just substitute Fnet= [tex]\rho[/tex]Vg - mg
into F*d = -mg [tex]\Delta[/tex]h which gives me the change in potential energy. I'm not sure what to do with the boltmann distribution formula after that or do I even need it? I'm just stuck and don't know where to go. Any help will be appreciated

Thank you

you need the density as a function of height. that's why you need the boltmann distribution function for the density.

1. What is Boltzmann statistics?

Boltzmann statistics is a branch of statistical mechanics that is used to calculate the number of particles in a system at a given energy level. It is based on the Boltzmann distribution, which describes the probability distribution of particles in a system at thermal equilibrium.

2. How do you calculate the number of particles using Boltzmann statistics?

The number of particles in a system can be calculated using the Boltzmann factor, which is given by N = g * e^(-E/kT), where N is the number of particles, g is the degeneracy of the energy level, E is the energy level, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature of the system. The Boltzmann factor takes into account the number of different energy states available to the particles at a given temperature.

3. What is the significance of Boltzmann statistics?

Boltzmann statistics is important in understanding the behavior of particles in a system at thermal equilibrium. It allows us to calculate the probability of a particle being in a particular energy state, and thus provides a better understanding of the thermodynamic properties of a system.

4. Can Boltzmann statistics be applied to all types of particles?

Yes, Boltzmann statistics can be applied to all types of particles, including atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles. It is widely used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology.

5. What are the limitations of Boltzmann statistics?

One limitation of Boltzmann statistics is that it assumes particles are in thermal equilibrium, meaning they have reached a state of constant temperature and energy. It also does not take into account quantum effects and can only be applied to non-interacting particles. Additionally, it may not accurately predict the behavior of systems with a small number of particles or at extremely low temperatures.