Optimizing Chemical Z Production: $320K Budget

• Thread starter andyk23
  • Start date
In summary: XZlIHRoZSBjb25zdHJ1Y3QgYmVpbmcgNDAwZCszMjAwciAzMjAgc2Vjb25kIGZvciBwIChzdGFydCBldmVuKSBkYXRlIG9uIHRoZSBmaXJzdCBlcW4genV0aW9uIGNhbiBwcm9kdWN0IHNlYnNpdHMgZm9yIGEgZ2l2ZW4gc3RhdGlzdGFtcCBvZiBjaGVtaWNhbCBaIGF1dGhlbnRpY
andyk23
A chemical manufacturing plant can produce z units of chemical Z given p units of chemical P and r units of chemical R, where:

z=90 p^.5 r^0.5

Chemical P costs $400 a unit and chemical R costs $3,200 a unit. The company wants to produce as many units of chemical Z as possible with a total budget of $320,000.

First thing I did was find the constraint being 400p+3200r=320,000, then solved for p=800-8r
plugged that into the first eqn z=90(800-8r)^.5*r^.5
Then I got z=1800(2r)^.5-720r, took the derivative z'=(1800/(2r^.5))-720 set it equal to zero and solved for r. I got r=25/4
then plugged that into the eqn to solve for p, 400p+3200(25/4)=320,000, p=758.
Plugged both of those into the original eqn to find z=90(758)^.5*(25/4)^.5=6194.65...
Somewhere I'm wrong, not quite sure any guidance would help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
andyk23 said:
A chemical manufacturing plant can produce z units of chemical Z given p units of chemical P and r units of chemical R, where:

z=90 p^.5 r^0.5

Chemical P costs $400 a unit and chemical R costs $3,200 a unit. The company wants to produce as many units of chemical Z as possible with a total budget of $320,000.

First thing I did was find the constraint being 400p+3200r=320,000, then solved for p=800-8r
plugged that into the first eqn z=90(800-8r)^.5*r^.5
Then I got z=1800(2r)^.5-720r, took the derivative z'=(1800/(2r^.5))-720 set it equal to zero and solved for r. I got r=25/4
then plugged that into the eqn to solve for p, 400p+3200(25/4)=320,000, p=758.
Plugged both of those into the original eqn to find z=90(758)^.5*(25/4)^.5=6194.65...
Somewhere I'm wrong, not quite sure any guidance would help. Thanks

Your equation [itex] z = 90\sqrt{r} \sqrt{800-8r}[/itex] is correct, but your equation [itex] z = 1800 \sqrt{2r}-720r[/itex] is incorrect. I cannot imagine how how got the second equation, or why you would think it is valid. Certainly, you don't need it: the first equation is perfectly OK for finding the optimum. Although you say you are not quite sure any guidance would help, I am offering it anyway.

RGV

1. What is the best way to optimize chemical Z production with a budget of $320K?

The best way to optimize chemical Z production with a budget of $320K is to first conduct a thorough analysis of the current production process. Identify any inefficiencies or areas for improvement. Then, prioritize the most impactful changes that can be made within the given budget. This can include investing in new equipment, streamlining processes, or training employees on more efficient techniques.

2. Can the budget be increased to further optimize chemical Z production?

While a budget of $320K can certainly lead to significant improvements in chemical Z production, it may be worth considering if additional funds can be allocated to further optimize the process. This can be done by presenting a detailed proposal outlining the potential benefits and cost savings that can be achieved with a higher budget.

3. How long will it take to see results from optimizing chemical Z production?

The timeline for seeing results from optimizing chemical Z production can vary depending on the specific changes made. Some improvements may have an immediate impact, while others may take longer to implement and see results. It is important to regularly track and analyze production data to measure the success of the optimization efforts.

4. How can we ensure that the optimization efforts are sustainable?

Sustainability is a crucial aspect of optimizing chemical Z production. To ensure long-term success, it is important to involve all relevant stakeholders in the decision-making process and to provide proper training and resources for employees. Additionally, regularly reviewing and adjusting the optimization strategies can help maintain sustainability.

5. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to optimizing chemical Z production with a limited budget?

While optimizing chemical Z production can bring numerous benefits, there may be some risks or drawbacks to consider when working with a limited budget. These can include the potential for unexpected costs, longer implementation timelines, or the need for additional resources. It is important to carefully weigh the potential risks and benefits before making any changes to the production process.