How Can I Determine the Minimum Volume of a Cube Given the Surface Area?

• Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optimization
The only thing left is to set the derivative equal to zero. This will give you the dimensions for the cube with the minimum volume.
member 392791
Suppose you are given a problem to find the dimensions for the maximum volume of a cube given the surface area. These problems involve 2 equations, taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero (local minimum or maximum) and substituting the 2nd equation to find the parameters. However, suppose I wanted to know the dimensions with the minimum volume, how can I go about doing that? Clearly using the same method will result in a maximum? When doing these, since setting a derivative to zero gives a local max or min, how is one to know which one will be found?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no minimum - or 0, if you like. In principle, setting the derivative to 0 gives all extremal values. If the system has a proper minimum, it will show up there. Otherwise, you can check the boundary conditions of your problem (here: side length > 0).

Your saying for a box with a given surface area, it wouldn't have a minimum value for its volume?

Woopydalan said:
Your saying for a box with a given surface area, it wouldn't have a minimum value for its volume?
The volume can't go below 0, so that is effectively a minimum value. If you restrict your attention to actual, physical boxes for which all dimensions are positive, you can't get to a volume of 0.

Ok if you are given that the surface area has a value that it cannot deviate from, I'm wondering how you guys are proposing a box of zero volume and finite surface area. I know there is a physical minimum volume for a given surface area, how do I go about finding it?

Make a box 1 inch long, 1 inch wide, and 0 inches deep.

Volume = 0, surface area = 2. The box still has a finite sized top and bottom, even though you can't put anything inside it.

what would a box like this look like? Are you talking about a square?

It is like a square, indeed. If you want a "physical" box (with positive side lengths), there is no minimum, but you can make it as close to 0 as you like with an extremely tiny depth.

Woopydalan said:
Suppose you are given a problem to find the dimensions for the maximum volume of a cube given the surface area. These problems involve 2 equations, taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero (local minimum or maximum) and substituting the 2nd equation to find the parameters. However, suppose I wanted to know the dimensions with the minimum volume, how can I go about doing that? Clearly using the same method will result in a maximum? When doing these, since setting a derivative to zero gives a local max or min, how is one to know which one will be found?

You already set the volume at a constant when you assigned the surface area. You cannot find a maximum.

FAQ: How Can I Determine the Minimum Volume of a Cube Given the Surface Area?

1. What is an optimization problem?

An optimization problem is a mathematical problem in which the goal is to find the best possible solution among a set of possible solutions. The best solution is determined by maximizing or minimizing an objective function, while satisfying a set of constraints.

2. What are some real-world examples of optimization problems?

Some common examples of optimization problems in real life include: maximizing profits for a business, minimizing production costs, optimizing transportation routes, or finding the best design for a product.

3. What are the different types of optimization algorithms?

There are various types of optimization algorithms, including gradient descent, simulated annealing, genetic algorithms, and particle swarm optimization. These algorithms differ in their approach to finding the optimal solution and are used for different types of optimization problems.

4. How do you determine if a problem is convex or non-convex?

A convex optimization problem is one in which the objective function is convex and the constraints are also convex. This means that the solution will always be a global minimum. In contrast, a non-convex problem may have multiple local minima, making it more challenging to find the best solution.

5. What are some common techniques for solving optimization problems?

Some common techniques for solving optimization problems include linear programming, quadratic programming, and dynamic programming. These techniques involve using mathematical models and algorithms to find the optimal solution to a given problem.