Optimizing Sound Transmission: Shed Placement Tips for Blocking Noisy Neighbors

• Thread starter mtworkowski@o
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the conversation discusses the best way to block sound transmission through air, specifically in relation to a noisy neighbor's hot tub. It is determined that placing a structure closer to the source of sound is more effective, but other factors such as resonance and reflection also need to be taken into consideration. The option of using active noise cancellation is also mentioned.
mtworkowski@o
I have a question about sound transmission through air. In blocking the sound with a structure is it better to put the structure next to the sound source or next to me?
I'd like to put up a shed to block the sound of my neighbor's hot tub. When it's running I can hear it in my house. Would the shed be more effective if it were closer to the hot tub or closer to my house? The hot tub is 20 ft from from the property line and my house is 15 ft from the property line. My wife thinks the shed should go near the house and I think it would work better closer to the source of sound. Where is best. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey.
Next to you, because as sound travels a distance it gets quieter because it will be absorbed by other objects in its path. By having it away from the source, you will have already diminished sound trying to get through your shed.

Thanks for the quick response Ed. However, I don't think I agree with your answer. Sound does not diminish because it gets absorbed by objects in its path. Objects reflect sound. Sound is diminished at the rate dictated by the inverse square law. A point source radiating into a solid angle. That shed should reflect and absorb the sound and only leave a diffused source. I'm sorry to disagree with you but don't you think this is rather a good exercise? Anybody want to chime in on this, I would be very glad to hear from you. Thanks Ed.

Your neighbor's hot tub must be a pretty cheap model. I have mine right next to the sliding glass door in our den. When that kicks on I can't hear a thing.

From an industrial standpoint, it is always better to attenuate a signal at the source since there are so many factors that can affect the sound in the far field. This isn't necessarily the case here, but I think I agree with you in that the shed should be closer to the source. However, understand that you will still get reflections and probably some diffraction from the source. My opinion would be to put up a hedge or trees in between. It would be much more effective than adding another solid surface to bounce sound off of. Or, if that's not feasible, is your neighbor a nice enough person that you could look at adding insulation and maybe some panels to his tube frame?

Fred,
Thank you for you rresponse. I'm starting to think that some pecentage of the problem is resonance in that area of my house. You triggered that line of thought when you mentioned the patio doors in your den. Glass has a very high resonant frequency, not to mention it's ability to reflect sound. My neighbors are just noisy people and they don't seem to be aware of that fact. I find this to be an interesting problem to solve and I'm sure it will require a combination of things. I even considere active noise cancellation because of the predictable wave form of the hot tube. Any more ideas very welcome. Thanks again Fred.

No problem.

In your case, I wouldn't necessarily say resonance as the main problem. I would say echoing or reflection are your big problems to contend with. I am not an acoustician, but I would think that most residential sound sources would not have enough energy to really induce a structure's resonant modes to an audible level.

A noisy neighbor is a tough nut to crack. I have the same issue with a family behind us. They simply don't realize that they are very loud. I have hinted to them but I admit I haven't come right out to ask them to quiet down which would probably solve 99% of the problem. It is an interesting problem. The active noise cancellation would be kinda cool if you could get it to work.

Related to Optimizing Sound Transmission: Shed Placement Tips for Blocking Noisy Neighbors

1. How can I determine the best placement for my shed to block noise from my neighbors?

The best placement for your shed will depend on the direction of the noise and the layout of your property. It is important to assess where the noise is coming from and where it is most concentrated. Placing the shed between the noise source and your home will help block the sound.

2. What materials should I use to optimize sound transmission in my shed?

Soundproofing materials such as acoustic foam, mass-loaded vinyl, and soundproof drywall can be used to optimize sound transmission in your shed. These materials help absorb and block sound waves, reducing the amount of noise that can pass through your shed.

3. Are there any design elements that can help optimize sound transmission in my shed?

Yes, there are several design elements that can help optimize sound transmission in your shed. Adding a double layer of drywall, using soundproofing caulking, and installing a solid core door can all help block noise from entering your shed.

4. Will the size of my shed affect its ability to block noise?

Yes, the size of your shed can have an impact on its ability to block noise. A larger shed will have more surface area to absorb and block sound waves, making it more effective at reducing noise. However, the placement and materials used are also important factors to consider.

5. Can landscaping help optimize sound transmission in my shed?

Yes, landscaping can play a role in optimizing sound transmission in your shed. Planting trees or shrubs around your shed can act as a natural sound barrier and help absorb noise. Additionally, adding a water feature or fountain can also help mask noise from your neighbors.