Orbital Radius of Earth Satellite: Solve for r

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bernie Hunt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Orbital
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Bernie Hunt
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Find the orbit radius of an Earth satellite in a circular orbit if the period if 1d.

I'm at a dead end. So far I have;

r^3 = (GMT^2) / (4(pi)^2)

r^3 = (6.67*10^(-11) * 6*10^(24)) / (4 * pi^2)

and I get

r = 21642

The book says 42.2Mm. I'm only off by a couple of million meters, hahaha.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks,
Bernie
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use the value of T in seconds for the constants you used to be correct.
 
Argh! Thud, thud, thud ...

That's the sound of me banging my head against the wall!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Bernie