Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia and force needed to tilt/change axis of rotation

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    Consider a freely rotating body. Let the axis of rotation be the z-axis. For simplicity assume all the mass of the body is concentrated in the x-y-plane, i.e. the plane in which the body rotates.

I have read about the moment of inertia tensor on wikipedia, but I don't see how I would combine it with a torque to tilt the axis of rotation.

Suppose the above rotating body indeed has a solid axis, albeit of zero mass, sticking out at one end with length [itex]\gt l[/itex]. At [itex]z=l[/itex] we apply a force perpendicular to the axis for a distance of [itex]\Delta s[/itex] in the direction of [itex]-x[/itex].

Code (Text):

|<- apply force
      |
      |
    =====  <- x-y plane of rotation
    What will happen to the to the overall rotation.

a) Will the axis tilt only a certain amount or does the force applied induce a rotation that keeps going and combines with the previous rotation.

b) What is the formula to get the tilt angle or the angular speed? I assume it somehow combines the inertia tensor and the force F or torque [itex]l\times F[/itex]?

Thanks,
    Harald.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2
    Found it myself. In general it is

[tex]\tau = I\cdot\dot{\vec{\omega}}[/tex]

where [itex]\tau[/itex] is the torque, the equivalent of force for linear motion, [itex]I[/itex] is the moment of inertia tensor (i.e. 3x3 matrix) and [itex]\dot{\vec{\omega}}[/itex] is the three-vector of angular acceleration. The rest seems to be to put in the special case values. And I reckon that applying a torque that that is not just parallel to [itex]\dot{\vec{\omega}}[/itex] will result in an angular velocity component, not just in a tilt of the rotational axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook