Ordrinary Differential Equation Problem

In summary: Thanks for the reminder!In summary, the problem asks me to solve the following ordinary differential equation for y(x): y'(x) = cos[y(x)-x]I have tried multiple methods to solve this equation, including expressing the O.D.E. in its complex form. I also tried expanding the O.D.E. using the angle difference identityHowever, I can't seem to find a way to separate the variables nor do I see an alternative method to solve this O.D.E.
Aequiveri
The problem asks me to solve the following ordinary differential equation for y(x):

y'(x) = cos[y(x)-x]

I have tried multiple methods to solve this equation, including expressing the O.D.E. in its complex form. I also tried expanding the O.D.E. using the angle difference identity

cos[y(x)-x] = cos[y(x)]cos[x]+sin[y(x)]sin[x]

However, I can't seem to find a way to separate the variables nor do I see an alternative method to solve this O.D.E.

Any help you can give to lead me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How about substituting u(x)=y(x)-x?

Sorry, that was a lot simpler than I thought. Thanks for your help!

Before you put this out of your mind... how would you come up with that on your own? What about this problem should suggest you try something like that?

Remember, you don't just want to be able to solve this problem -- you want to be able to solve other problems you haven't seen yet, so you want to distill this lesson into a tool you can use in the future.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't had much experience with ODEs, so I think the best way to learn problem-solving techniques involving ODEs might be to practice problems over and over again until the appropriate methods involved in obtaining solutions becomes more obvious.

Sure. I think you were just overlooking the 'simple' before you launched into the 'hard' ways of solving it. Wrong order.

Well, this one can be tricky for some people -- there are two "obvious" ways to attack the problem via simplifying the argument to cosine, and many people will, upon noticing one, completely block out the idea of looking for the other one.

Hurkyl said:
Well, this one can be tricky for some people -- there are two "obvious" ways to attack the problem via simplifying the argument to cosine, and many people will, upon noticing one, completely block out the idea of looking for the other one.

I know. After looking at Aequiveri's attempt, I was blocking the easy way for a while as well.

1. What is an Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE)?

An Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more independent variables and their corresponding derivatives.

2. What is the difference between an ODE and a Partial Differential Equation (PDE)?

The main difference between an ODE and a PDE is the number of independent variables involved. An ODE involves only one independent variable, while a PDE involves multiple independent variables. Additionally, the derivatives in an ODE are ordinary derivatives, while in a PDE they are partial derivatives.

3. How are ODEs used in science and engineering?

ODEs are used to model and solve a wide range of real-world problems in science and engineering. They are commonly used in physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and many other fields to describe the behavior of physical systems and predict their future evolution.

4. What are the different types of ODEs?

The types of ODEs can be classified based on their order, linearity, and the number of independent variables. The most common types include first-order, second-order, and higher-order ODEs, as well as linear and nonlinear ODEs.

5. How do you solve an ODE?

Solving an ODE involves finding a function that satisfies the given equation. Depending on the type of ODE, different techniques can be used, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and series solutions. Numerical methods can also be used to approximate the solution of an ODE.