1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orienational order parameter in isotropic systems

1. Apr 25, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone,

I have what may be a dummy question. In NMR or in the study of liquid crystals for example, an order parameter [itex]S[/itex] is often used:
    [itex]S=\left\langle\frac{1}{2}\left(3\cos^{2}\theta-1\right)\right\rangle[/itex]
    with [itex]\theta[/itex] the angle of the molecule with a "director" (the magnetic field in NMR, the normal to a membrane for lipids, the global direction in a nematic phase etc). [itex]S[/itex] corresponds to a second-order Legendre polynomial.
    I have often read that in an isotropic environment, [itex]S=0[/itex] whereas when all the molecules are well aligned with the reference vector (director), [itex]S=1[/itex]. I understand why [itex]S=1[/itex] as [itex]\theta=0°[/itex] but I can't find why [itex]S=0[/itex] when all the orientations are random.
    Can anyone help me?

Liam

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2014 #2
    For isotropic distribution the average of cos^2 is 1/3.
    The average (these brackets) imply an integral over solid angle of 4π.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook