Understanding ORP in Water with NaCl

In summary: So in summary, this person is trying to measure the redox potential of a water sample and is having trouble understanding how ORP works.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
I would like to thank this forum for providing me invaluable helps lately. I'd like to understand ORP in water.
I'm aware that PF discourages member for not doing research first. I've (been) reading redox, antioxidant, pH, covalent, including: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduction_potential and http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Analyti.../Redox_Chemistry/Standard_Reduction_Potential
Frankly, I have no idea how ORP works.

So, perhaps I should give a condition first.
There are 1 liter pure H2O, 55.50622 moles.
In it I disolve 1 gr NaCl, 0.017112 moles. So that the water can be electrolyzed.
Now, as you know there are many water ionizer machines out there. Supposed I pump this solution to the machine, so that the water is divided by 2.
500 ml of it has PH = 9 and ORP = -300.
A: PH = 9 means that in this 500 ml of water there are 0.5 * 10-9 moles of H+, about 0.5 nanogram and 0.5 * 10-5 OH-, about 0.45 miligram. Is this true?
B: What about ORP. What element can make this water has ORP -300 milivolt?
Since I only use H2O and NaCl, I think there are some possible answers here:
H+, OH-, Na+, Na (neutral), HCl, anything?

Thank you very much.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
There are 1 liter pure H2O, 55.50622 moles.
In it I disolve 1 gr NaCl, 0.017112 moles. So that the water can be electrolyzed.
Now, as you know there are many water ionizer machines out there. Supposed I pump this solution to the machine, so that the water is divided by 2.
500 ml of it has PH = 9 and ORP = -300.

When you dissolve NaCl in water the solution is more or less just neutral, it doesn't become automagically pH 9 for no apparent reason.

As far as I am aware in normal conditions redox potential you can measure after putting an electrode in water would be that of O2/OH- system (where O2 comes from the atmosphere). The exact potential will depend on the pH and partial pressure of oxygen and it will be given by the Nernst equation.

Likes Stephanus

1. What is ORP and how does it relate to water?

ORP stands for Oxidation-Reduction Potential and it measures the ability of a solution to oxidize or reduce other substances. In water, ORP is an important parameter that reflects the presence of oxidizing or reducing agents, which can affect the water's quality and potential for chemical reactions.

2. How does NaCl affect ORP in water?

NaCl, or table salt, can significantly affect the ORP of water. When added to water, NaCl dissociates into Na+ and Cl- ions. These ions can act as oxidants and reduce the ORP of water. Additionally, NaCl can also act as a buffer, preventing drastic changes in ORP levels.

3. What is the ideal ORP range for drinking water?

The ideal ORP range for drinking water is between -150 to -250 mV. This range indicates that the water has a good balance of oxidants and antioxidants, which can help maintain good health and prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.

4. How can ORP be measured in water with NaCl?

ORP can be measured using an ORP meter, which measures the voltage difference between a reference electrode and a measuring electrode. When measuring ORP in water with NaCl, the ORP meter should be calibrated with a solution of known ORP and then the probe should be immersed in the water sample.

5. Can ORP be used to indicate the cleanliness of water?

While ORP can give an indication of the oxidizing and reducing potential of water, it is not a direct measure of water cleanliness. Other factors, such as pH and the presence of specific contaminants, should also be considered when determining water quality. ORP can be used as an additional parameter to monitor changes in water quality over time.