1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Orthogonal complement of a subspace

1. May 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let W be the subspace spanned by the given column vectors. Find a basis for W perp.

w1= [2 -1 6 3] w2 = [-1 2 -3 -2] w3 = [2 5 6 1]
    (these should actually be written as column vectors.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I put these vectors into a matrix and took its transpose since the orthogonal complement of the column space of a matrix equals the null space of the transpose.

I row reduced the transpose and got null(A transpose) = span{ [-4 1 0 3] , [-3 0 1 0]}
    (Again, these should be written as column vectors)

This is the correct answer, but I thought that I should have gotten a null space with dimension one. The three vectors that span W "live" in R4 and the basis for W has dimension three. 4 - 3 =1, so shouldn't the dimension of W perp = 1?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2009 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're sure that w1, w2 and w3 actually span a 3 dimensional space, are you?

4. May 3, 2009 #3
    That would only be true if the three original vectors were linearly independent (i.e., if the space they span had dimension 3). Is this true?

5. May 3, 2009 #4
    Ok, I see. 3*w1 + 4*w2 = w3. I guess I just assumed that when it said a subspace W spanned by the vectors w1,w2,& w3, that those vectors would form a basis for W.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook